Vests

Kentucky

WKR
How is the fit on those? Are they baggy with lots of loose fabric or are they fairly form fitting and just comfortable
I’m in between medium and large… 5’7”, 195, athletic beer drinker build…I had a Large that was a touch baggy, I wore a medium last year I like it…can be itchy if you have feminine skin…but real men shouldn’t have a problem…

I used mine with a Tshirt under, all the way to a couple base layers under and a non hooded vest over it… light rain isn’t an issue, super tough, burrs can stick too it, but take off with a knife…

and comparatively they are cheap…

2c747f6ff0e5d9aa446f0bea8d539e7a.jpg

This is the vest I wear for everything. STS ranch wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in between medium and large… 5’7”, 195, athletic beer drinker build…I had a Large that was a touch baggy, I wore a medium last year I like it…can be itchy if you have feminine skin…but real men shouldn’t have a problem…

I used mine with a Tshirt under, all the way to a couple base layers under and a non hooded vest over it… light rain isn’t an issue, super tough, burrs can stick too it, but take off with a knife…

and comparatively they are cheap…
Im built about the same as you, maybe about 5-10 lbs. lighter, and the large hooded coat fits about the same.
I also went with a large.

Tradchef, get the vest! You’ll be glad you did.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Im built about the same as you, maybe about 5-10 lbs. lighter, and the large hooded coat fits about the same.
I also went with a large.

Tradchef, get the vest! You’ll be glad you did.
I'm 5'7 and 156lbs athletic build. I'm guessing the medium would be the ticket. Also, on the wool weights they offer which did you decideon

BowTrout

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a kuiu axis vest that I’m looking forward to trying out this year. I had a redhead brand fleece vest that I really liked however due to too much time at the table it doesn’t fit anymore.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'7 and 156lbs athletic build. I'm guessing the medium would be the ticket. Also, on the wool weights they offer which did you decideon
I have the hooded jacket in Evening Stand Green, which is the extra heavyweight wool which I think is 18 oz? The heaviest they have is the blanket weight wool which I believe is 24 oz?
If I were buying I’d either get the Timber Ghost, or the Little Delta Plaid.

mgmicky

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve really become a vest guy over the last few years. Our mountain temps can swing over 30 degrees from morning to afternoon and a vest doesn’t take up much room if I need to remove it. I have several, but the 2 I wear the most are a Kuiu Gude and the Filson Mackinaw. FYI, I think Filson is cutting corners now compared to the older stuff. There is a noticeable difference in the thickness of my older vest compared to the newer one. I think I’d go with a King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian instead of Filson if I had to buy again.

I've been a vest guy for years and have settled on two that I absolutely love. First is the Cabelas windshear. I paid $40 for it off marketplace and have had it for years. Its fully windproof and has a quiet outer shell. I went to that from the Sitka Jetstream and it was pretty close in comparison for 1/4 of the price. My new favorite is the Fieldsheer heated vest in camo. Not my favorite camo and has a weird green haze, but has more heating panels than anything I have found and it fits great. I have worn that heated vest more than anything this past year for sure.,

LostArra

WKR
I've worn a Cabela's wooltimate vest for many years when treestand hunting. Never when backpack hunting or even day hunting elk. Wooltimate with wind shear is silent and warm. Like I said it's old so I assume Cabela's has screwed it up by now.

pirogue

WKR
There are a lot of vests to choose from, and a lot of subtle and not so subtle differences you may not notice, without experience. For example, look at the top of the shoulder area. Some have a full width that extend past the point of shoulder, and some are narrow, almost resembling tank top width. I want the wider one to keep the shoulder warm. Makes pulling the bow easier, after a long cold sit.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is different but I have tried to run a vest and find them as a piece of clothing that doesn’t have much value. For the most part I stay warm when I’m moving so it doesn’t help there and when I stop for extended periods they don’t provide enough warmth unless the temperature is just right so to me I wear multiple light layers for thermal control have a puffy jacket for those times when more warmth is needed.

Everyone is different but I have tried to run a vest and find them as a piece of clothing that doesn’t have much value. For the most part I stay warm when I’m moving so it doesn’t help there and when I stop for extended periods they don’t provide enough warmth unless the temperature is just right so to me I wear multiple light layers for thermal control have a puffy jacket for those times when more warmth is needed.

Ya I’ve also tried them, find zero use or value in one. With proper layering im warmer and much less bulk. I’m a Sitka fanboy. Stuff is crazy warm and wears very light.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s an option also.
I have some of their things and the quality is very good, and very thought out for hunters.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Here’s an option also.
I have some of their things and the quality is very good, and very thought out for hunters.

Heck yeah. That loooks like a sweet option.