Vests

Tradchef

WKR
So I’m looking to get a new vest for early and mid season archery and as a layer for late season but that’s fairly low on the list. I was looking at the kuiu kenai and even the asbell pathfinder vest but wasn’t sure if any of you had any other suggestions. Obviously needing it to be quiet first and foremost

Scott

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the sitka kelvin aerolite. super lite and warm for what it is. I do have a Kenai jacket and it's one of my favorite pieces of gear. I assume a vest in that material would be great as well.
I also had a pathfinder pullover that was pretty nice. Very different as wool is its own class of gear. Nice but heavy.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Yeah totally. I primarily backpack hunt. I know the weight penalty but I do prefer wool overall if possible. But anywhere to save some weight and be efficient is always welcome

GLB

WKR
I have the Kuiu (early season vest) and like it very much. It is very thin and light weight. Early season I wear it as outer garment and late I wear it as a layer. It was useful last season at times when I wore a hoodie. It would contain the bagginess to keep it away from the bow string on those awkward shots.

Ddog

WKR
First Lite Source vest. Not windproof but very lightweight and warm.

Drenalin

WKR.
I was surprised how bulky the Kenai vest is. It’s not unusable, but it’s a lot of coverage.

Beendare

WKR
If you want light, the Kenai and Sitka equivalent are the ticket…and they are silent. I have both but in the jackets- almost identical performance. Neither is very durable though….Alaskan brush will shred them.

A good wool vest is hard to beat…….but its probably double the weight, or more.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
While I don’t have an Asbell vest, I do have one of their jackets and it is of great quality especially for the price.

WoodBow

WKR
I wouldn't recommend it for backpacking but last year I bought a code of silence vest and really like it. Very warm and quiet. They call it windproof but it doesn't pass my blow test. However, when worn, I have not noticed feeling any wind pass through it, even in high wind. It is a mid to late season piece.

I bought a medium and it was a hair small for me. Bought a large and I have the medium listed here currently for $75 tyd. Never worn. They are $120 new.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
If you want light, the Kenai and Sitka equivalent are the ticket…and they are silent. I have both but in the jackets- almost identical performance. Neither is very durable though….Alaskan brush will shred them.

A good wool vest is hard to beat…….but its probably double the weight, or more.
Yeah I totally hear you there. While I like to save weight out here in the mountains sometimes a little extra weight for durability isn’t a bad thing.
Appreciate the feedback

Sitka Kelvin Aerolite or Sitka Jetstream...the jetstream is windproof and the kelvin aerolite is a lightweight but very warm option.

I wear a good wool vest if it’s cool enough too while roving. If I’m still hunting I wear the asbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I should have prefaced my comment….I’m not a vest guy.

They are perfect for watching a football game on a cool night.

Its a tweener hunt product for me. I’m either trekking somewhere dripping sweat…or stationary getting colder by the minute.

The UL jackets are perfect for stationary….and as a mid layer…but I have a few patches in my Kuiu from snags- and I don’t wear it busting brush.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR

Its a tweener hunt product for me. I’m either trekking somewhere dripping sweat…or stationary getting colder by the minute.

The UL jackets are perfect for stationary….and as a mid layer…but I have a few patches in my Kuiu from snags- and I don’t wear it busting brush.
And I can’t stand jackets. I carry a puffy for stationary and glassing but most times even In single digits I just wear merino base and heavier merino shirt and that’s it. I get overheated too much in the mountains but it’s nice to have the core warm. I just use my same formulas as I do backpacking. I hardly use any hunting specific clothing anyway. Mostly backpacking gear I try out all year and use the warmest and most comfortable to get double use out of it.

WoodBow

WKR

I never wear a vest on backpack hunts but they are a staple for me for whitetail. Great way to bump up core insulation without bulking up your arms when bowhunting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I can see why you like the vests...it keeps your core warm without bulky sleeves.

I just might have to pick myself up a vest....maybe I am a vest guy and just don't know it- grin

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I can see why you like the vests...it keeps your core warm without bulky sleeves.

I just might have to pick myself up a vest....maybe I am a vest guy and just don't know it- grin
You never know. lol. I mean we hunt a lot of same type of terrain. I just run hot. I find myself wearing basically early season merino late season as well in the mountains but I do like something to help regulate when I cool off and most times even backpacking a jacket doesn’t do it for me. So this was my solution but again as with everything nothing is perfect.