Velocity question with 6.5 Creedmoor

woods89

WKR
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Remington model seven action with a 22" Hawk Hill barrel. Recently I started working with H4350 and 140 grain Elite Hunters.Primers are CCI BR-4 and brass is Lapua small primer. I did a sort of ladder test between just under 40 grains to 42.5. I hit what I would consider some pressure signs at just over 42. ( sharp edge on primer dimples, slightly sticky bolt, etc.) I had what appeared to be a good node at 41.3 that did indeed turn put to be a very accurate load, certainly better than my shooting ability. Primers with this load have a fully rounded edge, crisp dimple, and bolt lift is really slick.
I dont own a chronograph so this afternoon while shooting with my brother I set targets at 200 and 400, shot a 5 shot group at a high aiming point, and measured the difference. I input that info into strelok with all the current conditions and found out the only way to make my numbers line up was with a velocity of 2900 fps.
So do I have a very fast barrel? Am I running over pressure without signs? I see guys post about running 42-43 grains with less velocity than that. This is fine with me, but I do not want rifle damage and would also like to optimize brass life. I was going to be really happy with 2700....
I also realize that this is not quite like measuring with a chronograph but the numbers seemed to line up shooting steel at 500 also.
I will take any advice I can get. Thanks!

Mulyhuntr

WKR
No way you’re at 2900. For reference, I get 2640 with 41.5gr h4350 and a 143 eldx. 24” barrel.

2700 seems reasonable.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
After thinking about this while weedeating for an hour, I'm inclined to say that something does have to be off in my calculations.
I know there are fast barrels and slower barrels but this seems unrealistic....
I did have one other issue that I dont think is related, but possibly could be. My rifle has a 20 moa base, and I just replaced my scope. New scope is a 4-12x40 Vortex Viper with a BDC reticle. I was not able to get it to zero right on at 100, as with my elevation turret bottomed out I was still 3.5" high at 100. I didn't think this would matter if I only measured the difference in drop between 200 and 400. Essentially I had a zero of 3.5" high at 100. It has been awhile since I was in math class though so who knows. Needless to say I have a 0 moa base on the way.
I was able to string together a pretty good run of consecutive hits on a 10" gong at 500 using 2850 and doing some creative math to account for my weird zero situation. And almost all of them were in the top half of the gong.
I will get that new base mounted and try again maybe. I really need a chronograph......

Something is off with your calculation. I'm running 41.3 grains H4350 in Alpha brass with 140 grain ELD-Ms and getting 2705 fps (measured with Magnetospeed) out of a 24 inch barrel. For comparison, Hornady Match 140 grain ELD-M ammo also runs 2705 out of my barrel.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
And yes, their was a fly in the ointment. I think I found it and if I'm correct, my velocity will be around 2675 or so. I knew better.......