Velociradar vs. Labradar LX vs. Garmin Xero

bespain

FNG
I've always used Garmin in everything; watches, gps, radar in the plane. As soon as I get a Labradar they come out with the Xero. I guess it is time to offload the big orange box...

Fujicon

FNG
Was looking forward to new Caldwell Velociradar in May, but latest info is won't be available until first week in June. Looks to still be selling for $500.

goalie

FNG
I finally made a decision and ordered a Garmin. Primary Arms had a $60 bonus bucks deal and their mil discount made it a good deal.

I plan on using it for my crossbow as well as rifles, and the Labradar a guy at the gun club uses seems to miss a LOT of shots, where 99% of the Garmin reviews say it catches 100% of the shots.

Fujicon

FNG
Well that's disappointing. Caldwell Velociradar was originally supposed to be available in May, then it was supposed to be available first week in June, and yet still not available. Note that Midway says "coming soon" and "overdue." That's code for not having the slightest clue when the hell it will be available.

atmat

WKR
Well that's disappointing. Caldwell Velociradar was originally supposed to be available in May, then it was supposed to be available first week in June, and yet still not available. Note that Midway says "coming soon" and "overdue." That's code for not having the slightest clue when the hell it will be available.
Well color me surprised.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Made the jump to a Garmin about 3-months ago. It has changed the way I reload and is an absolute game changer. Everything I do is now more precise because it’s so easy to use.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Decided to pull the trigger on the standard model Labradar. The sale price is $399 and subtract a military discount from that if you have one. The hardware upgrade is up to v2.3 with the latest firmware update v2.0 to use the upgraded hardware (Sept 2023). The phone app was last updated May 2024. The phone app will setup the unit and exports data. The phone app works well so far. I won’t be able to go to the range for a while.

The velociradar release date is a ways out there. I have no idea when that is though. The Labradar LX is out there now.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Since I took Forms class and started truing my ballistics tables I've lost faith in the numbers the Magnetospeed is feeding me.

I'm going to order a Garmin.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Decided to pull the trigger on the standard model Labradar. The sale price is $399 and subtract a military discount from that if you have one. The hardware upgrade is up to v2.3 with the latest firmware update v2.0 to use the upgraded hardware (Sept 2023). The phone app was last updated May 2024. The phone app will setup the unit and exports data. The phone app works well so far. I won’t be able to go to the range for a while.

The velociradar release date is a ways out there. I have no idea when that is though. The Labradar LX is out there now.
What a wild turn of events. Why such a hard on for LR?

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
The price is right….the features are what I want. Designed and made on this continent.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Since I took Forms class and started truing my ballistics tables I've lost faith in the numbers the Magnetospeed is feeding me.

I'm going to order a Garmin.

I am looking for consistency. Your MGS could be 35 fps off as long as it is consistently off by that much. Low SD and ES are the numbers I am looking for. I hunt, don’t shoot matches. There is some really crappy and inconsistent factory hunting ammo out there. My Pro Chrono DLX has worked well for me. It is probably “off” by a certain amount but I have hand loaded some very accurate hunting ammo with consistently low SD - ES. I went with the Labradar for ease of set-up and use as well as accuracy. Personally, I can’t justify the cost of a doppler radar chrono over $400. Would rather spend the money on reloading components.

atmat

WKR
I am looking for consistency. Your MGS could be 35 fps off as long as it is consistently off by that much. Low SD and ES are the numbers I am looking for. I hunt, don’t shoot matches. There is some really crappy and inconsistent factory hunting ammo out there. My Pro Chrono DLX has worked well for me. It is probably “off” by a certain amount but I have hand loaded some very accurate hunting ammo with consistently low SD - ES. I went with the Labradar for ease of set-up and use as well as accuracy. Personally, I can’t justify the cost of a doppler radar chrono over $400. Would rather spend the money on reloading components.
Military discount gets you the Garmin for $480, and its objectively a much better product that saves a ton of time and frustration.

I’m team Garmin all day. I’ve had a magneto speed and it’s worked pretty good. I do get a point of impact shift just slightly probably do to it hanging off the edge of the barrel, but it’s good for getting velocity for my drop tables. My buddy got a lab radar when it came out and we broke it the second time we had it out. We had it set up on the table next to us then walked down range to fix our targets, and the wind blew the Labradar over… fail. The Garmin is way easier to set up and I can finally get ride of the shitty Chronograph I used for my arrows. Go in with a buddy and split the cost. I don’t shoot with it all the time, just load development and then occasionally to check speed before a hunt (or a match if I did them)