Variety of brass mfg.

Sprunk

FNG
So I have some range brass and acquired brass from friends over the years who typically throw it away otherwise. I have never really messed with reloading second hand brass as I have my own fired brass as well. I am wondering if I develop a load with one brand of brass is it a big no no to use the other brands interchangeably? All loaded to the same specs: sizing, trimming, seating, etc how much variation will there be just based on mfg of the brass? Thanks!

Unless you're loading for competition, you'll be fine loading mixed brass. Trim, size, etc as you normally would, just be mindful that you might want to shy away from max loads as the different brass thicknesses can cause variations in pressure

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Don’t mix rifle brass. I’ve found in some cases it takes up to 2 gr difference for a load to shoot close to the same. 2 grains is more than enough to cause some serious issues.

What specifically will you be using these reloads for? I received 2 - 5 gallon buckets of range brass from a friend (all .223/5.56) and worked up loads (using H335 & 53 gr V-Max bullets) that I use when I go out west P-Dog hunting. I have never bothered sorting the brass and ended up with a charge of 23.8 grs. I have 3 AR15's (each with 26" WOA varmint barrels) and all 3 group Very Well with this load. I will routinely inspect the brass to check for any pressure signs but have had nothing to be concerned about so far. UMMV!

Last edited:
What specifically will you be using these reloads for? I received 2 - 5 gallon buckets of range brass from a friend (all .223/5.56) and worked up loads (using H335 & 53 gr V-Max bullets) that I use when I go out west P-Dog hunting. I have never bothered sorting the brass and ended up with a charge of 23.8 grs. I have 3 AR15's (each with 26" WOA varmint barrels) and all 3 group Very Well with this load. I will routinely inspect the brass to check for any pressure signs but have had nothing to be concerned about so far. UMMV!
Range days, general shooting, some hunting out to 500yrds

Range days, general shooting, some hunting out to 500yrds
As was mentioned, sorting the brass would be a good idea, but in my case, in all the years I have been reloading the .223/5.56 brass I shoot for P-Dogs, I've never had any issues. As far as sorting brass, some people will add 1 additional step and actually weigh the cases and further sort that way. (Impractical if you do not have a fairly large supply of brass cases). I personally have never seen the need to do this though. If I come up with better quality brass then I might source it, but this is an exception to the rule. I also built a 4th AR15 (this one is .204 Ruger Cal.) but I purchased 1,200 rounds of Federal Premium 40gr. Nosler BT's which I of course save a reload. (once again I installed a 26" WOA heavy Varmint barrel). This thing is a real hammer, but copper fowls VERY quickly. While out west, I will clean this with a good cooper remover every 200-250 rounds or so.

What caliber/calibers are you reloading for?

Back