Variance in case length using Lee cutter

I am trimming 6.5 prc brass on a Lyman case prep machine. I have a Lee cutter in an after market holder that is screwed into one of the stations. With the 6.5 prc length pin, I am getting shorter than "trim to" length. 2.015 is the trim to length but I have one case that went as short as 2.007. I have to repeatedly check length which adds a ton of time to the process. Working with hornady brass.

If it’s consistent it doesn’t really matter. You just won’t have to trim as often unless you trim every time.

sdupontjr

WKR
I use the Lee trimmer as well for my 308's but use it with the Wood ball handle. Mine has fluctuated say from 2.005 to 2.003. And in all cases, the issue was something having to do with the head of the brass. Either it was slightly bent from ejection or imperfections that didn't allow it to sit "flat" in the adapter that holds it. I run my adapter in a cordless drill. But mine has never had that much of a difference. And I use R-P, Fed and Win brass.

OP
razorsharptokill
From Lee:
Hey Jim,

there are a few possible causes. The first is that if the end of case length gauges had worn a bit of the lock stud away where the end of the CL gauge contacts the lock stud. Another possibility is if the CL gauge was threaded in a bit too much which would usually cause the cutting teeth to cut into the shoulder of the gauge. From what I am seeing in the specs, the case length gauge should be 15 thousandths under the max case length.
Sincerely,
Chris G.
Lee Precision, Inc.

From Lee:
Hey Jim,

there are a few possible causes. The first is that if the end of case length gauges had worn a bit of the lock stud away where the end of the CL gauge contacts the lock stud. Another possibility is if the CL gauge was threaded in a bit too much which would usually cause the cutting teeth to cut into the shoulder of the gauge. From what I am seeing in the specs, the case length gauge should be 15 thousandths under the max case length.
Sincerely,
Chris G.
Lee Precision, Inc.
Trim them and go on. If they vary from case to case I’d be concerned, but it would most likely be user error as it’s pretty hard to mess up the Lee trimmer. You’re .003” shorter than what Lee meant to be.

Wapiti1

WKR
How much is too short? I may sacrifice one pied to see how short it will go before it stops cutting.
There really isn't too short since the neck is only there to hold the bullet. The only downside to a short neck is possibly additional carbon ring buildup if the powder you use is prone to that. Not a big deal with normal cleaning.

Jeremy

smax

FNG
How much is too short? I may sacrifice one pied to see how short it will go before it stops cutting.
Cutting the necks to short can lead to a carbon ring forming faster than usual. In my experience with 6.5 PRC they tend to form carbon rings pretty fast anyway.

TaperPin

WKR
This kind of Lee trimmer? Maybe I’m missing something?

This trimmer is designed to be run in until the hardened rod (case length gauge) bottoms out on the case head holder (shell holder/lock stud) - it has to be used that way or length will vary all over the place. It might trim a little short, but a 1/2 moa gun shoots 1/2 moa with the Lee setup or slightly longer traditional RCBS adjustable trimmer so I never paid much attention to it. I also never noticed the chamber taking longer to clean with the length it trims at, so that’s never been an issue in my mind.

The cutter/length gauge can be used with other holders, but only if the holder is flat and comes up tight against the case head - some have a relief around the primer pocket and those can’t be used.

BBC9A5CA-BD63-4455-A2F0-62AAA5F7E27F.gif

Torque

FNG
If you want a longer COAL, just order a custom sized stem. They aren't expensive and Lee can turn them around pretty fast.

OP
razorsharptokill
This kind of Lee trimmer? Maybe I’m missing something?

This trimmer is designed to be run in until the hardened rod (case length gauge) bottoms out on the case head holder (shell holder/lock stud) - it has to be used that way or length will vary all over the place. It might trim a little short, but a 1/2 moa gun shoots 1/2 moa with the Lee setup or slightly longer traditional RCBS adjustable trimmer so I never paid much attention to it. I also never noticed the chamber taking longer to clean with the length it trims at, so that’s never been an issue in my mind.

The cutter/length gauge can be used with other holders, but only if the holder is flat and comes up tight against the case head - some have a relief around the primer pocket and those can’t be used.

View attachment 736585
Yes, that is the style trimmer I am using.

MThuntr

WKR
Most factory brass is going to come shorter than trim length and possibly more than the .008" you're experiencing. Consistent is more important than if it's short. Load them and move on