Vargo Tent Stakes - Massdrop

robie

WKR
I just got a Jimmy tarp and am looking and saw this stake deal.

I'm curious if anyone has a need for the nail peg in CO high country or can you get the V shaped Ascent stake into the ground?

Vargo Titanium Stakes

duchntr

WKR
I think those stakes are ok, but i find the regular ground hogs to sink alitle easier and are less likely to bend when you really trying to get them in to the rocky ground.

I recently started using these. 10 My Titanium Tent Peg Stake Nail Hook Skewer Outdoor Picnic Camping Dia 3mm | eBay

They weigh next to nothing and I keep a handful of them with every tarp I own. While they don't hold that great in soft soil they work great for wedging between rocks where normal stakes cant fit, then I put a big rock on top.... Anyway YMMV

duchntr

WKR
Depends, sometimes quick like 10days sometimes a bit longer. Fwiw last time I ordered some I offered him 18$ and he accepted the offer.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd like to hear more feedback on pegs vs "Y" designs, I'll be needing some stakes for a shelter build soon. My experience with loop top aluminum backpacking stakes is they bend easy. Aluminum "Y" seem fairly ridgid but yes you have to hunt around for a place to get into the ground at times.

Here's my take. I've used the Ti nails and hooks. They work decent enough in the right conditions. Usually those conditions have rocks though and if I have rocks, I figure I'll just tie off to those and back it up with more rocks. The Vargo V stakes are pretty fragile. Be careful not to pound them hard. For me, if I need a stake, it's almost always the MSR Groundhogs...both mini and regular versions. They'll take a beating and the weight penalty is pretty minimal to take a stake that holds.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Here's my take. I've used the Ti nails and hooks. They work decent enough in the right conditions. Usually those conditions have rocks though and if I have rocks, I figure I'll just tie off to those and back it up with more rocks. The Vargo V stakes are pretty fragile. Be careful not to pound them hard. For me, if I need a stake, it's almost always the MSR Groundhogs...both mini and regular versions. They'll take a beating and the weight penalty is pretty minimal to take a stake that holds.

Good detail. Thank you. I will stick with my MSR stakes.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

That's what I was envisioning (I also have some parachute anchors for snow/rocks in my stash), just figured I'd ask since it was brought up.

Lawnboi

WKR
You will be happier with groundhogs or mini groundhogs when they are not bending left and right on you.

I have atleast a dozen wrecked vargo stakes at home, but only a couple wrecked groundhogs.

But I do have a couple vargo nail stakes for special times...