Vapor Barrier Socks

So one of the latest Hunt Backcountry Podcasts has me thinking about vapor barrier socks. My feet get pretty cold quickly, and I haven't found a great solution for keeping them warm. My use case is hike in backcountry hunts ranging from September archery to November rifle in the west.
I've tried thick socks, boot blankets and toe warmers. All work a little bit, but I'd like to stop packing 2 pounds of toe warmers and boot blankets that only kind of work. Insulated boots are not something I'm interested in as I get sweaty feet quickly.

Has any successfully (of unsuccessfully) used vapor barrier socks in temps ranging from single digits to the 30's? It looks like they are primarily designed for mountaineering but I'm curious if there is a use case here for cold fall hunts. Also interested in waterproof socks as a warming layer for stationary glassing.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
So, they get the purpose of a VBL (vapor barrier layer) wrong in that podcast. A VBL is to keep the moisture from your own body out of your insulation. It should be worn next to skin, or over a thin liner if you don't like how it feels on your skin. Dry insulation, of every type, works better. If you have a gortex boot, then most of your bodies own moisture is staying in your insulation.

A cheap way to try it out is bread bags under your sock. You will still have to make sure your insulation stays dry from the outside.

There is certainly a possible use in hunting, but as for if you want to use them, you will just have to try a VBL out and see.

OP
DenimChicken
Did a little research and I understand the premise. Seems that keeping my socks and boots dry from sweat would be beneficial for keeping my feet dry. Just not sure if they would prove to be useful at temps around freezing as most use cases seem to focus on extreme cold.

Open to other suggestions for chronically cold feet. I’m good when I’m moving but get cold when glassing.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
We did a backpacking trip and I got my feet super cold after hiking across a glacier that was covered in a foot of slushy snow. After we got off the glacier I put on dry socks and put trash bags over my feet so my soggy shoes wouldn't wet out the new socks. At the time I thought I'd only do it till my feet got warmed up because I assumed I'd sweat a lot. It didn't seem to be an issue and I hiked all the way to the car (5ish miles), and drove home over an hour without changing things. I think I'll carry bread bags in the future. If I'd been smart I would have done that for the glacier crossing.
So it sort of worked for me. Still not sure about all day but it's something I plan to explore.

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
Circulation is key for warm feet, so make sure your lacing is not too tight. Lots of tricks to lace differently if need be. +1 to trying bread bags. I think that VBLs could help for multi day trips in cold temps if you can't dry your boots overnight, but I've have never found the need for them due to the existence of double boots. I don't tend to have issues with cold feet though. If you are out in single digits, you should have something insulated IMO.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Did a little research and I understand the premise. Seems that keeping my socks and boots dry from sweat would be beneficial for keeping my feet dry. Just not sure if they would prove to be useful at temps around freezing as most use cases seem to focus on extreme cold.

Open to other suggestions for chronically cold feet. I’m good when I’m moving but get cold when glassing.
Bring a warmer puffy for glassing (closer to a down parka). Yes, your feet are cold, but if you warm your core then your body will push more warm blood to your feet. Puffy pants also might help. A sit pad can help, and a nit cap.

Basically, when you start getting cold the body narrows arteries going to your feet and hands because it is trying to reduce heat loss and keep your vital organs warm. What you wear while sitting still should not be what you wear while moving.

kad11

WKR

Oven turkey roasting bags also make good VBL socks. I regularly use a VBL on my feet (and sometimes hands) during late season.

Also, keeping core warm is key to warm extremities assuming there aren't any circulation issues.

WCB

WKR
loosen boots while glassing and change socks. Even if it is real cold and I get sweated up a bit...Ill stop to glass, for lunch, or just rest. Pull my boots off swap out socks. Let feet air out for a few minutes. Once back in they warm up pretty quick.

Oven turkey roasting bags also make good VBL socks. I regularly use a VBL on my feet (and sometimes hands) during late season.
Oven bags are far more durable than bread bags. At my grocery store you can get a 5 pack for about $2. I've heard rumors that costco has them as well, if you want to outfit the whole neighborhood.