Va National forest

Shupe88

WKR
Yesterday they shut down the west side of the Jefferson National forest in Virginia. Until October 2025. This is going to affect hundreds of hunters. They claim it's because of damage from Helene. How the hell can they just shut it all down??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
They aren't accepting volunteers either for trail and road cleanups. They also closed the Nf in the areas of Nc that were affected.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday they shut down the west side of the Jefferson National forest in Virginia. Until October 2025. This is going to affect hundreds of hunters. They claim it's because of damage from Helene. How the hell can they just shut it all down??

Very frustrating, for sure, especially for those planning on hunting and fishing there. Maybe because of flooding and road damage, fears of erosion? An entire year seems like a very long time to close that much area.

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
Very frustrating, for sure, especially for those planning on hunting and fishing there. Maybe because of flooding and road damage, fears of erosion? An entire year seems like a very long time to close that much area.

Yes there is piles and piles of trees down and roads washed out. But there is also walk in areas that are easily accessible. Just makes no sense to shut the whole thing down. And not wanting volunteers is weird to me. We rely on it for hunting, fishing and fire wood. All gone for a year!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
It's southwestern virginia, near coal country, etc. All I'm gonna say is country boys are gonna survive, they might not be able to drive in, but they will be in there hunting it, I guarantee it lol

They shut down the Sumter National Forest in SC after the hurricane.

I was cutting logs in the road and went deer hunting yesterday afternoon. The alert said "rec areas", so my assumption was that was campgrounds, shooting ranges, designated park/picnic areas, and walking trails.

I'll keep hunting till someone tells me not to.

OP
Shupe88

Shupe88

WKR
They shut down the Sumter National Forest in SC after the hurricane.

I was cutting logs in the road and went deer hunting yesterday afternoon. The alert said "rec areas", so my assumption was that was campgrounds, shooting ranges, designated park/picnic areas, and walking trails.

I'll keep hunting till someone tells me not to.

Ours states "going into or being upon National forest lands is prohibited".

Mattyq17

Lil-Rokslider
Parts of Los Padres NF in California was closed down 3 years ago due to roads being washed out from rain. This summer there was a fire on the other side of the range, and they had to grade the roads and cut a fire break in case the fire jumped. That is the ONLY way the roads were going to be fixed or else the NF would still be closed.....