Utah: Wasatch Rifle

Sparky12

FNG
My father who is 65 and never gotten a bull bigger than a spike and I drew out for the Wasatch unit after 17 years of putting in. He is moving after this year out of the state so it will be my last hunt with him. I have had big bulls before and while I am excited to do this hunt together, am I stupid in trying to fill two tags this September. should I return my tag to hunt another year and focus on my fathers hunt? I am torn and I usually hunt the uintas but I have camped in the Wasatch unit for year so I know the terrain.

I am not looking for areas, just opinions of those that have hunted the any weapon LE. If I am good looking to fill two tags, especially where I am wanting a 340 plus bull, should I wait and just do my fathers hunt?

Not sure how you would focus on spending quality time together and also find two bulls (especially placing a number on one of them) all in 5 days.
Seems like you would be dependent on getting lucky and getting your dad tagged out early for you to focus on that big bull.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Did you draw a bonus pass tag with max points? or did you draw a random tag with minimal points?

If you have max points I would be more likely to return your tag since you can be pretty assured of drawing next year. If you drew a random tag with minimal points I'd have to consider the luck factor and see it as a gift.....

That said if you are focused on getting your dad a big (340'+) bull then I would focus on one tag. The season is short and its not easy to find a big bull, especially in a place you can kill it. Will be more enjoyable with your dad as well focusing on one tag. Less pressure for sure.

If you do have max points for the unit then it will greatly benefit you next year if you choose to draw it again having scouted and hunted the unit during the season. (heck you may decide you don't like the unit and put in for something else)

I see it as a benefit to turn your tag back in the long run. you get more elk hunting in limited units out of it.

I would seriously consider turning your tag back and focus on your dad but you will kick yourself if he shoots one day one. Its a gamble either way.

At the least, talk with your dad and see what his plans are. If he is going to shoot the first bull he sees that could change things.

I had a friend that him and his brother both drew LE tags in the same year, same unit. In the end, after a couple days and not finding anything, the stress of filling two tags and being together got to them. They both killed good bulls but could have done better.

It may also mean more to your dad for the two of you to tag bulls together than to just get him 1 with a little more bone.

My father who is 65 and never gotten a bull bigger than a spike and I drew out for the Wasatch unit after 17 years of putting in. He is moving after this year out of the state so it will be my last hunt with him. I have had big bulls before and while I am excited to do this hunt together, am I stupid in trying to fill two tags this September. should I return my tag to hunt another year and focus on my fathers hunt? I am torn and I usually hunt the uintas but I have camped in the Wasatch unit for year so I know the terrain.

I am not looking for areas, just opinions of those that have hunted the any weapon LE. If I am good looking to fill two tags, especially where I am wanting a 340 plus bull, should I wait and just do my fathers hunt?
Hire Strawberry Bay Outfitters. I got real lucky and got a 350 bull the same season several years ago. This unit is good for 320ish bulls, and there are some much bigger.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input, I can return my tag for my points. We didn't put into the hunt together so we are not tied for this reason. I am going to talk to him about it but I think I am going to turn in my tag and really focus on his hunt. I will still have 17 points I can move forward with, won't be the 18 it could have been but that is on me. That way I am not pushing him to take bull he is not happy with.

Back