Utah upcoming draw application.

mickeyelk

FNG
Well, its that time of the year to get another unsuccessful from Utah. This year I have 24 points for non resident elk and some good advise on where to get my best chance at drawing an elk tag. Can't shoot archery anymore, so that's out of the question. Outfitted will do since this is my "once in a lifetime tag". Any opinions?

ckleeves

WKR
There are lots of tags you can draw, if your going outfitted start calling outfitters and picking their brains on what you can draw, what your expectations are etc. Odds on some of the early rifle tags might be kinda hard to predict this year.

You gotta decide how bad you want out with the changes in Utah. You can stick it out hoping to hit a glory tag or bail out on a lesser unit or late season tag (or muzzy)?

nobody

WKR
Well, its that time of the year to get another unsuccessful from Utah. This year I have 24 points for non resident elk and some good advise on where to get my best chance at drawing an elk tag. Can't shoot archery anymore, so that's out of the question. Outfitted will do since this is my "once in a lifetime tag". Any opinions?
There are lots of really solid tags you can draw in multiple seasons. I'm happy to discuss via PM, but won't post the info here.

f16jack

WKR
Many things here in Utah are messed up with the draws and OTC tags. But one of the things I like is that a cow elk is not related to a bull elk. Antlerless in Utah is treated as unrelated to Antlered. Separate draws and seasons.
I hope you're successful with a good area with that many points.
If you want to simply come elk hunting, have a good experience, and fill your freezer, put in also for a cow tag. I've taken plenty of bulls and cows and we enjoy hunting all of them.

OP
mickeyelk

mickeyelk

FNG
Thank you for your reply. It looks challenging this year with the new elk season dates

f16jack

WKR
Thank you for your reply. It looks challenging this year with the new elk season dates
It will be interesting to see. The early season is only 15K tags, the late is unlimited for Any Elk. I wonder how many will do early vs. late. Great that they have unlimited youth tags. Take a kid hunting.

Buckslyr

Lil-Rokslider
Word on the street is the WB is pushing for muzzleloader scope changes before their April deadline. So any changes will be in effect for 2023 season. Something to keep an eye out for if your considering muzzleloader as an option.

f16jack

WKR
Word on the street is the WB is pushing for muzzleloader scope changes before their April deadline. So any changes will be in effect for 2023 season. Something to keep an eye out for if your considering muzzleloader as an option.
Thanks. Only shot a smokepole once. I was a little kid (12) as an extra in the Dawn Wells film "Winterhawk." Justius McQueen and the guys were plinking at a piece of wood in a pond, and between video shoots he asked me if I'd like to take a poke. I did and it was fun. They all laughed with me and called me "Whistler's grandson," because I was always chewing on a stick of grass and whistling.

Robiland

FNG
I would hard at the Manti Multi season elk tag. There are some great bulls and lots of them. I know if you do draw it, and dont go guided, I can point you into the right areas. But there are LOTS of good areas. Last year we saw several bulls in the 350 range or bigger. Lots of 320-330 bulls.

jewbacca

FNG
It will be interesting to see. The early season is only 15K tags, the late is unlimited for Any Elk. I wonder how many will do early vs. late. Great that they have unlimited youth tags. Take a kid hunting.
My guess is there won't be 15k people in the late season. Less people, but entering areas that have been HEAVILY pressured the week before. The good news is we get to find out just how many OTC rifle tags are actually in demand.

Can't wait for my kids to be old enough.

f16jack

WKR
My guess is there won't be 15k people in the late season. Less people, but entering areas that have been HEAVILY pressured the week before. The good news is we get to find out just how many OTC rifle tags are actually in demand.

Can't wait for my kids to be old enough.
This will be an interesting year.

jewbacca

FNG
I'm curious how the archery hunt will play out. Hoping for fewer folks in the hils, but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ranny

FNG
Going to be interesting to see how all the changes affect draw odds. From what I can see the idea of to offer more tags/ seasons and move people through the system quicker. We'll see how much impact that has on the quality of bulls...

WBrim

WKR
With all the changes, it will be nice to see the recommended tag numbers before applications are finalized. Granted final numbers are subject to change, we should have a good idea how many tags to expect.

Burg1

FNG
I would take a serious look at the manti or wasatch late rifle hunt with that many points. Those can be fun hunts with a lot of elk but you’ll have to really work for a chance at a 320” type bull

Westhunt

FNG
I'm assuming you're looking at a rifle season. There are three limited entry rifle seasons in utah. For starters, what general size class bull are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Westhunt

FNG
There's a few hunts that would do that. Do you want that elusive rut rifle hunt, or would you be willing to try a harder mid or late season. You might be able to pull an early rifle on a mid tier unit that has a few 360 running around. Or accept the challenge of a mid season hunt on a better unit with more trophy potential. Did you have your eyes on a particular unit?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
mickeyelk

mickeyelk

FNG
Late hunts would be great also. Main concern would be the size of the animal, or at least a chance at one.