Utah Spring Turkey

Looking for someone who has had experience hunting both the limited entry and general turkey seasons in northern utah. It will be my first spring in the state and Im thinking about applying for the limited entry but wondering what the birds are doing that early in the season compared to the later general season? Is there much gobbling going on in early April or are they still in winter patterns/large flocks? I’m sort of thinking they may be more susceptible to calling later in the spring during the general season but I also have no idea how much hunting pressure to expect on public land during that season or how it affects the birds. Is turkey hunting popular here? Thanks in advance for any insight

OP
Treefrog18
I just looked at the draw odds and realized I would only have about a 6% chance of drawing the LE tag, so I wont get my hopes up if I do decide to apply

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted both the early (LE) and general many times. I personally like the early hunt, but many think it is silly and simply wait for the general. It really depends on the area and varies from year to year, the weather and the birds as far as gobbling and strutting activity.

I usually hunt down south, but if you have some access to good property up north should be good whenever - early or general. I always get turkey fever and look forward to getting out after them. The sooner the better!

twall13

WKR
I've hunted both. There was more snow than I would have preferred on the early hunt. A lot less people out but the birds were definitely not in the same areas where I typically find them in May. That said, I'm talking about public land birds up by flaming gorge. If you are talking Cache Valley that's probably a different story, especially if you can get permission on private land somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk