Utah South Slope Yellowstone 9A

Darrin

FNG
Going up there for archery elk this year with a couple buddies. Our hunt starts aug 19. From the research I've started doing seems like a decent elk heard. We will be packing in with horses so hopefully getting away from some of the crowds. Anyone have any tips or do and don't for that area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've only hunted the north slope of the Unitas but there all elk throughout the entire range. But the population density isn't crazy high so being mobile is advantageous. It's kinda luck of the draw on crowds, I've had the trailhead to myself one year and then the next there are 5 other horse trailers there.

huntian

FNG
What dates are you planning to hunt? I would highly suggest shooting for the last week of the hunt, for obvious reasons, hunting closer to the rut. When we had success in the Uintas we had to get as deep as possible and away from the "main trails" that the backpackers and hikers use all summer. Look for secluded basins and search around the edge of the basin up against the cliffs. Good luck!

OP
D

Darrin

FNG
What dates are you planning to hunt? I would highly suggest shooting for the last week of the hunt, for obvious reasons, hunting closer to the rut. When we had success in the Uintas we had to get as deep as possible and away from the "main trails" that the backpackers and hikers use all summer. Look for secluded basins and search around the edge of the basin up against the cliffs. Good luck!
We will be there Aug 18.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ElwoodUT

FNG
Get away from the crowds, be confident in your calling/caller and if the elk aren't there keep moving.