Utah general deer tips and tactics

Hi roksliders,
I drew a general season deer tag for Utah. The unit i drew has elevations from 6500-10000ft, during this general season are they generally up high or mid mountain? Or is this mostly weather dependent? This is my first mule deer tag, is a 24-27” 3x or 4x4 a great buck for a general tag? Any tips or advice for this hunt would be greatly appreciated.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat, the unit I drew, you can't even really get into yet.

The muleys will generally follow the snowline, foraging on the tender new growth that comes up - it's less a date or temperature thing than just following the snowline up. During the season, your biggest bucks will tend to be in the highest places, in the shade, with a commanding view and excellent winds to monitor their area below. They are especially fond of the shadows at the base of cliffs, as that also helps secure their backside.

Regarding how big of a buck is good enough - if this is your first muley, go for the success of a filled tag. A four-point is great, and a three point would be good too. Don't worry over width too much, but in case you're wondering the distance between the tips of a muley's ears is usually about 20 inches, so an additional couple of inches on either side outside the ears is good, but don't get caught up too much in that - it'll only detract from the hunt. If a buck makes your heart race in the glass, take him.

roadhntr

FNG
All units are going to be a little different to hunt. So without knowing which unit you're talking about, all your going to get is a lot of general information. Mostly qoates straight out of one of the hunting books. It's really stupid that people can't mention a unit name but it is what it is. Send me a PM and I'll try to help if I can. To be realistic, you have about a .01 percent chance of killing a 24-27" wide buck your first time out. You need to lower your standards.

I enjoy Utah, August hunt is the only West states option for me. I have had better luck in a lesser unit that I was able to spend time in than higher point unit that I could only e-scout. Nothing new there.

Plenty of mountain ranges have bucks of that caliber. Most hunters have reasons to not spend the time and effort to get a tag on one. Myself included, but I have some cherished memories getting after big ones and putting tags on small ones.

Good luck with however you decide to spend your time in the mountains.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Just go and have fun. By day 3 or 4 I think you’ll have an idea of what kind of buck you are going to be proud of. If a 2 point at the end of the hunt makes you happy, pull the trigger. The fun part is trying to find a big one. Once you pull the trigger, funs over and it’s time to go home

OP
B
I enjoy Utah, August hunt is the only West states option for me. I have had better luck in a lesser unit that I was able to spend time in than higher point unit that I could only e-scout. Nothing new there.

Plenty of mountain ranges have bucks of that caliber. Most hunters have reasons to not spend the time and effort to get a tag on one. Myself included, but I have some cherished memories getting after big ones and putting tags on small ones.

Good luck with however you decide to spend your time in the mountains.
This unit is a 0-1 pt unit, but figured I could learn it and come back almost every year. My dad and I will hunt hard and probably spike out to get better odds of tagging a mature buck. Was hoping to get boots on the ground in the unit this summer but looks like 1day of scouting before season is all I will get.

OP
B
Just go and have fun. By day 3 or 4 I think you’ll have an idea of what kind of buck you are going to be proud of. If a 2 point at the end of the hunt makes you happy, pull the trigger. The fun part is trying to find a big one. Once you pull the trigger, funs over and it’s time to go home
Totally agree, as an out of stater I want to be somewhat selective as its not my local hills and only tag a mature buck.

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s a unit with a lot of traffic or roaded areas up high it can push those bucks just off the tops but they can still be a ways up the mountain. Also use the people to your advantage. Find some roadless canyons, even if there’s roads around it, and let the traffic funnel those deer into those spots.

Unless you have one of the early tags, I think the general starts after elk hunts. My point: mature bucks will be pretty locked up, mostly nocturnal at that point due to general "pressure" from a lot of hunters messing about for elk and early general deer. Depending on your unit, you might try focusing on the "not typically elk areas" in it. In mid-October, mature bucks will be scattered, generally not with does (except young bucks like spikes/fork horns). If you are looking for big bucks, they are where you find them. I like hunting sage flats that folks drive by, however I have also have seen them above timber line, in thick timber, aspen draws, rocky cliffs, etc. They are pretty scattered due to pressure.

180ls1

WKR
This unit is a 0-1 pt unit, but figured I could learn it and come back almost every year. My dad and I will hunt hard and probably spike out to get better odds of tagging a mature buck. Was hoping to get boots on the ground in the unit this summer but looks like 1day of scouting before season is all I will get.

Buy an OTC elk tag in the unit and hunt it then.