Utah Elk - Guided vs DIY

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I have a bunch of preference points in Utah (just shy of max points) and plan to draw an elk hunt in 2020. We already have a unit in mind and (assuming we draw it) will be hunting public land. We're currently debating hiring a guide versus doing it ourselves. We both have 20+ years experience hunting mule deer, whitetail, and antelope in CA, UT, CO, WY and ID, but neither of us have any elk hunting experience. Our dad and uncle will be going with us and each have quite a bit of elk hunting experience. Obviously we'd both like to bring a nice bull home, but we're also not in it to shoot the biggest bull in the unit. An ideal trip would be hunting hard, spending time with family, and shooting a couple good bulls. We're leaning towards DIY. What say ye, Roksliders? Would you go DIY or hire a guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah has great elk hunting for those lucky enough to draw. Sounds like you guys would probably do well on your own.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can do well with DIY, tag numbers are pretty limited on the good units. I will say on the upper tier units you'll be competing with huge gaggles of guides and resident hunters will all have thier own gang of people all over the unit.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You can do well with DIY, tag numbers are pretty limited on the good units. I will say on the upper tier units you'll be competing with huge gaggles of guides and resident hunters will all have thier own gang of people all over the unit.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
This is no joke. If youre putting in for a unit with low tag numbers expect to see each resident tag holder have 20+ people with them. Even the guides will load up on people and stick one person on every ridge/drainage with a walkie talkie. It can totally ruin a “limited tag” hunt.

From my experience in situations like yours, I would personally have one of you guys draw in 2020 and the other draw in 2021.

That way you will get 2 hunts out of it, I have just as much fun going with friends even if I don’t have a tag. Also the second year you will
Have a seasons worth of knowledge for the second hunt. If you are drawing archery tags the season dates make it pretty tuff because the season ends so early. I wouldn’t want to try to get two bulls. If your coming from out of state and don’t know the area, it will be pretty tuff to find water sources with a bull worth waiting 20 years if you don’t know the area.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
From my experience in situations like yours, I would personally have one of you guys draw in 2020 and the other draw in 2021.

That way you will get 2 hunts out of it, I have just as much fun going with friends even if I don’t have a tag. Also the second year you will
Have a seasons worth of knowledge for the second hunt. If you are drawing archery tags the season dates make it pretty tuff because the season ends so early. I wouldn’t want to try to get two bulls. If your coming from out of state and don’t know the area, it will be pretty tuff to find water sources with a bull worth waiting 20 years if you don’t know the area.

Funny enough, that's exactly our plan. My brother will draw 2020, I'm up in 2021. Also, I failed to mention in the original post, we're putting in for rifle tags.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
DIY elk in Utah, our hunt areas aren't over crowded especially if you pick a good unit. But you should go in wanting the biggest bull on the unit since you've waited 20 years. Some units have 300" bulls some units have 400" bulls just do your homework on that unit and what size it has to offer. Most of Utah's units have decent bulls but the numbers sure have been on the decline in the good units.

I would think you guys should be able get your tags filled without a guide. The last time I drew in Utah, the biologist had pretty good info on large general areas to check into. I already had several areas picked out before I called.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate everyone's input, this is good info! We've got 19 and 20 points each, and rifle hunting (my brother doesn't do archery). We've got a unit in mind to hunt based on some discussions with the Huntin Fool, but if anyone wants to venture a suggestion as to how they'd spend 19 non-res elk points, I'd love to hear it, either in this thread or in a PM. Hopefully the number of points raises this above the level of asking for someone's "honey hole". Just curious what folks think is the best rifle unit for 19 or 20 points.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go diy. Since many of the hard to draw elk units in the state are basically once in a lifetime hunts, you're likely to get a lot more information from locals than for something like a general season elk or deer tag. Many have no problem giving out info for LE elk as opportunity is so limited they may never even get to hunt LE elk in this state.

One thing to consider for non residents, many of the so called "best" units only give out one non resident tag. At that point bonus points don't matter as its strictly luck of the draw.

If you're thinking of any units in the southern portion of the state feel free to pm me and I'd be glad to share some insight.

sljensen

FNG
In Utah elk units are managed based on average age of harvested bulls. Some units youll be able to draw with those points will be managed for younger bulls than other units. That might be worth considering.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While 20 points seems like a lot when you look at the stats for any weapon all your options are managed for opportunity not quality.
My choice would depend on your hunt expectations. I'd lean towards manti for a diy hunt but that unit issues the most tags in the state (300+)but keep in mind it's also the biggest elk herd in the state. Fish lake has a bunch of access which is a two edged sword for getting away from others. La sal private land hunts(Redd ranch,ECT.) are pretty amazing and if you can afford them a great choice. Good luck should be a fun hunt.

787f4a78eb7370bcb9d1dc74b9bf5caf.jpg