Using NIKWAX: TX Direct Wash-In & Tech Wash

Loco4dux

WKR
I ordered the double pack off amazon to wash all my waterproof gear.

Do you guys use both products at the same time or use one before using the other? Tech Wash first then TX Direct second in separate loads?

Thanks!

Last edited:
In separate loads is my understanding. Probably wise to do a second rinse after the wash and then do the TX direct. And I don't think you rinse it, just spin it out and put in dryer on high until dry.

Wash in water proofing is inferior in every way to spray on. Wash garment in tech wash, really not necessary but whatever, rinse twice, then spray on waterproofing. Either iron or throw in dryer.

Wash in water proofing is inferior in every way to spray on. Wash garment in tech wash, really not necessary but whatever, rinse twice, then spray on waterproofing. Either iron or throw in dryer.

^^^^Agreed^^^^ I use mild powder detergent (Original Tide) - Rinse Twice - Shake of excess water - Spray on DWR - Throw in dyer on low heat.

My preferred DWR in order:

1 Granger
2 ReviveX
3Nikwax

The just follow the instructions.
Separate cycle for each product.
A few minutes on high heat in the dryer will 'set' the water repellent.
Works great.

The reason to not use traditional detergents is they leave a residue on your tech garments. The residue blocks pours reducing breathability. Additionally, the residue attracts and holds dirt which defeats DWR and reduces waterproof effectiveness. I only wash in or spray on every 5 - 8 tech washes. Just cleaning properly has a tremendous positive effect.

Yep, no detergents or surfactants. Atsko sport wash is a cheaper alternative as well as pure soap. Key is to rinse twice.

Yep, no detergents or surfactants. Atsko sport wash is a cheaper alternative as well as pure soap. Key is to rinse twice.
I've been a long time user and advocate of Atsko Sports wash as well as their Extreme Water Guard DWR. The other problem with some detergents and their use of UV brighteners that make color threads more vibrant. The UV brighteners make you more visible in the ultra violet spectrum which is where a lot of animals have better reception than humans. Atsko also has a UV Killer spray for that. Just find a good black light and inspect all your hunting and camping gear.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Took the advice of the brain trust here and ordered some spray on DWR as well.

How often do you guys wash and re-apply DWR? Once a season?

Took the advice of the brain trust here and ordered some spray on DWR as well.

How often do you guys wash and re-apply DWR? Once a season?

When the garment begins to wet out I will reapply. Depends on too many factors to just use a schedule IMO>

I have never been impressed with the Nikwax wash-in waterproofing. I've tried it in the washing machine and just in the laundry sink. I can't make it work right either way.

Back