Using GoHunt to find a cow elk hunt for 2023

Does anybody have experience using gohunt filtering 2.0 to find a decent cow elk hunt?

Does anybody know of any videos, articles or any info on how to use filtering 2.0 to find a cow hunt?

I'm struggling to find draw odds and information about a decent cow elk hunt for next season

I didn't get the idaho elk tag I really wanted and as I look ahead to 23 I'm in a bit of a pickle. My brother has now sprung on me that he'd like to go on an outfitted elk hunt in 24, so i'm left in an awkward spot. I have 2 points in MT this year and 2 points in WY for elk. I'd prefer not to burn them this year if I'm going to go with him next year especially not knowing where we will end up going...but I don't want to sit on the sidelines and watch this year. Having heard nothing but how busy the mountains are in CO I'm a little leary to look to that option since half of why I like elk hunting is the opportunity to get away from people a bit and just hunt.

I'm hoping to find a decent cow elk archery hunt or possibly an either sex tag for 23 that won't burn my points and eliminate the possibility for me to hunt elk with me brother in 24 since it'll likely be the only time we ever go west together.

Any help is greatly appreciated

OP
E
That's what I was afraid of. I either have to find an outfitter In a different state, or apply for something I won't get to keep my points....

That is if I understand how it works...

LaHunter

WKR
Does anybody have experience using gohunt filtering 2.0 to find a decent cow elk hunt?

Does anybody know of any videos, articles or any info on how to use filtering 2.0 to find a cow hunt?

I'm struggling to find draw odds and information about a decent cow elk hunt for next season

I didn't get the idaho elk tag I really wanted and as I look ahead to 23 I'm in a bit of a pickle. My brother has now sprung on me that he'd like to go on an outfitted elk hunt in 24, so i'm left in an awkward spot. I have 2 points in MT this year and 2 points in WY for elk. I'd prefer not to burn them this year if I'm going to go with him next year especially not knowing where we will end up going...but I don't want to sit on the sidelines and watch this year. Having heard nothing but how busy the mountains are in CO I'm a little leary to look to that option since half of why I like elk hunting is the opportunity to get away from people a bit and just hunt.

I'm hoping to find a decent cow elk archery hunt or possibly an either sex tag for 23 that won't burn my points and eliminate the possibility for me to hunt elk with me brother in 24 since it'll likely be the only time we ever go west together.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Unless you get really lucky, you most likely will not be getting a Bull elk tag in WY in 2024 with 3 points, unless you are looking at a unit with very little public land.

md126

WKR
I’ll be following this thread closely. Also looking for a good cow elk tag.

At this point in my life just looking to get out west and have a quality hunt, even if I can’t shoot a bull.

OP
E
Unless you get really lucky, you most likely will not be getting a Bull elk tag in WY in 2024 with 3 points, unless you are looking at a unit with very little public land.
I figured as much, and honestly I'm ok with that. I'd rather hunt cows this year if I can't go to Idaho, and save myself a couple bucks on a tag to use on another tag elsewhere. My goal is to go elk hunting as much as possible because I've only been a few times and I can't stand the idea of not going lol.

I also burned all my luck in life when my wife said yes so I never expect luck to favor me

OP
E
I'm trying to use gohunt to find more information about montana cow tags... anybody ever gotten a montana cow tag before?

492slayer

FNG
As an Idaho resident, I have no trouble getting a tag, I didn't realize it was that hard to get a cow tag. They sold out that quick? You know the odds are low, but you can always apply for the Superhunt drawing. You do not have to be a resident to win.

fmyth

WKR
I'm trying to use gohunt to find more information about montana cow tags... anybody ever gotten a montana cow tag before?
Do you have a specific question about using Gohunt? The people at Montana Fish Wildlife and Game have be great about answering my questions when I've called.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 5.01.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 5.01.51 PM.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 5.03.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 5.03.43 PM.png
    536.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
E
As an Idaho resident, I have no trouble getting a tag, I didn't realize it was that hard to get a cow tag. They sold out that quick? You know the odds are low, but you can always apply for the Superhunt drawing. You do not have to be a resident to win.
Sadly this year there was a snafu with the online sale system and they sold out for the units I wanted to hunt before I was able to get a tag. Thought I was lucky to only be 4,000 in line but apparently the issues caused some sort of error where some people could still buy or something

OP
E
Do you have a specific question about using Gohunt? The people at Montana Fish Wildlife and Game have be great about answering my questions when I've called.
I am having a hard time finding cow hunt draw offs using gohunt for the state of Montana. I just want to archery elk hunt in September, and at this stage a cow is as good to me for learning as a bull. I'm hoping to find something that won't burn my points for future hunts and allow me to come hunting

fmyth

WKR
I am having a hard time finding cow hunt draw offs using gohunt for the state of Montana. I just want to archery elk hunt in September, and at this stage a cow is as good to me for learning as a bull. I'm hoping to find something that won't burn my points for future hunts and allow me to come hunting
Download the regs: https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/regulations/elk
An elk antlerless B tag might be what you are looking for.

Cschlimm

FNG
Tossing my name in the hat for a cow tag this year. Never hunted the bighorns figured it’d be a good opportunity to check them out if I drew a tag. Was looking at units on the west side the mid October tag is only valid off national forest. Can elk be found down on the BLM or are you kinda gambling for early snow to push them down? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

bsnedeker

WKR
I was looking at that today.... I have no experience with MT b tags, so I wish I could talk to someone who has done it before
What's to know? It's an antlerless elk tag. You can buy them OTC in a lot of places.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
E
What's to know? It's an antlerless elk tag. You can buy them OTC in a lot of places.

Sent from my SM-G998U1
Well honestly... Quite a bit.... the MT system isn't super clean and easy to understand especially for a non resident like me. I want to understand what I'm putting in for when I do so I don't just waste money and an opportunity. It's been tough to look at the regs and determine what the quota is and whether or not I would even have a chance in some of the units

I didn't grow up elk hunting, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and have more opportunities to hunt

bsnedeker

WKR
Well honestly... Quite a bit.... the MT system isn't super clean and easy to understand especially for a non resident like me. I want to understand what I'm putting in for when I do so I don't just waste money and an opportunity. It's been tough to look at the regs and determine what the quota is and whether or not I would even have a chance in some of the units

I didn't grow up elk hunting, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and have more opportunities to hunt
The Montana system is no where near as complicated as people want to make it out to be in my opinion. The only thing you need to understand is that we have different regs for every unit. Here are your options:

General Elk Tag: Look in the regs and in almost every unit you will see a line for the General Elk License (if you don't see this line for a unit it is because there is NO general season for that unit, everything is permit only). In some units the General is good for any elk in either Archery or Rifle season, and in some units its only good for cows, or spikes, or sometimes only good in archery. So there are restrictions per unit, but the General tag is good for almost every unit in the state.

Elk B tags: Again, almost every unit has one or more B tags that are good for archery, or rifle, or both (Region 1 units don't have any B tags, but almost every other region does). Read the regs for the units you are interested in to see how many B tags are available and what seasons they are good for and if there are any restrictions on them (i.e. some can only be used on State lands in a given unit.

004 and 005 B tags are available as leftover tags pretty much every single year. Those tags are good for the entirety of Region 4 and 5 respectively. If you just want to get out and look around for elk I would recommend one of those.