Use of Walkie Talkies in CO

BBob

WKR
Exactly, you made my point. Now apply the same logic to using radios.
Alright my next mission in life is to sharpen a spoon, attach it to a stick and go kill a CO elk with it. Reminds me of a friend in the early 80’s who ran out of ammo (20 rnds if I recall) so he tied his fixed blade knife to a stick, chased that wounded deer down and finished it off with that spear. I wonder if that was a legal kill? Thinking about it I’d bet he wouldn’t have been cited for an infraction over that so mby you’ve got a point?

Speaking of points I’m sort of lost as to what the point actually is at this point???

Alright my next mission in life is to sharpen a spoon, attach it to a stick and go kill a CO elk with it. Reminds me of a friend in the early 80’s who ran out of ammo (20 rnds if I recall) so he tied his fixed blade knife to a stick, chased that wounded deer down and finished it off with that spear. I wonder if that was a legal kill? Thinking about it I’d bet he wouldn’t have been cited for an infraction over that so mby you’ve got a point?
I've witnessed this one enforced. But I get the resistance this type of issue gets. If it's not a judge explaining it, most just aren't open to considering the concepts involved.

180ls1

WKR
For piece of mind, I contacted CPW in Hot Sulphur Springs for clarification. They are legal to use. The only way it becomes illegal is if you break the law while using them, or use them to facilitate illegal activity. Not saying that I would use them this way, but it would still be legal to use radios to walk a hunter in on a bull. But if that hunter shoots a bull on private property, or it ends up being a moose or something, an extra charge of using radios to facilitate the illegal activity would be added by the game warden.

I appreciate everyone’s help.

Do you have that in writing or who did you talk to?

I know someone with a poaching ticket because they applied the advice (to a T) given to them by Utah DWR over the phone. This was in regards to an area they could hunt.

OP
T

I know someone with a poaching ticket because they applied the advice (to a T) given to them by Utah DWR over the phone. This was in regards to an area they could hunt.
I have the guy’s name and phone number.

BBob

WKR
I've witnessed this one enforced. But I get the resistance this type of issue gets. If it's not a judge explaining it, most just aren't open to considering the concepts involved.
Okay I’ll admit I’m lost now. Are you saying sharpened spoons on a stick or as in my buddy’s knife stick case are illegal? I thought you were lobbying that they (spoons) were legal since they aren’t specifically excluded in the law???

I was in a courtroom as a witness for an upcoming case when the judge convicted a guy for this. I've further discussed it with a few Wardens that have actually enforced it. I do not have it in writing.

Yeah, F&W departments are well known for providing bad information. It's important to understand that the individual is responsible for knowing, no matter who told them what.

Okay I’ll admit I’m lost now. Are you saying sharpened spoons on a stick or as in my buddy’s knife stick case are illegal? I thought you were lobbying that they (spoons) were legal since they aren’t specifically excluded in the law???
Both a sharpened spoon and your buddies knife stick are illegal. However, your buddy might get some leniency for euthanasia since he ran out of ammo.

Hopefully now you get my stance.

BBob

WKR
Hopefully now you get my stance.
Nope, hopelessly lost. Imma out :)

PS Yeah I already knew sharpened spoons on a stick and improvised knife on a stick spears were illegal. I was just going along in an attempt to see what your point was but I don’t.

Nope, hopelessly lost. Imma out :)

PS Yeah I already knew sharpened spoons on a stick and improvised knife on a stick spears were illegal. I was just going along in an attempt to see what your point was but I don’t.
Fair, at least you tried. But hey, I'm sure this won't be the last time this topic comes up.

intunegp

WKR
You can, but you shouldn't, you'll trip and fall.

What do you mean I can? The regs don't say it's allowed...

I thought...

The regs do not tell us minimum requirements. Like I ststed previously, they tell us what we can do, what is legal. Thus, if it is not in the regs telling us we can do it, it is simply illegal.

Jethro

WKR
The regs do not tell us minimum requirements. Like I ststed previously, they tell us what we can do, what is legal. Thus, if it is not in the regs telling us we can do it, it is simply illegal.
I have read many regs that tell us what is illegal.
IMG_3178.jpeg

What do you mean I can? The regs don't say it's allowed...

I thought...
the regs are obviously in reference to taking game how we take gane and what is legal to take game. You on the otherhand are clearly going to the extrene and trying to say I'm saying the regs apply to any and everything, which is rediculous, like sayingbyou can't breath because regs don't say you can.

Of cours radios can be used. However, if they are used for taking game it's clearly illegal. But, you're free to believe different.

I have read many regs that tell us what is illegal.
View attachment 761871
Thise are clearly not regulations, regulations have associated numbers that can be cited. What you present is a guide designed for those that do not understand how to interpret the regs/law. The resturant industry did something simular decades ago, they added pictures to their menues, so those thst didnt undrrstand what was written, would have a better understanding.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
We have used radios for years; typically, we would have predetermined check-in times for safety or if someone had an animal down, but it's much more effective and safer if everyone has an Inreach.

We have used radios for years; typically, we would have predetermined check-in times for safety or if someone had an animal down, but it's much more effective and safer if everyone has an Inreach.
Clearly you are not using them in direct relation to the take of an animal, thus your use is legal.

intunegp

WKR
the regs are obviously in reference to taking game how we take gane and what is legal to take game. You on the otherhand are clearly going to the extrene and trying to say I'm saying the regs apply to any and everything, which is rediculous, like sayingbyou can't breath because regs don't say you can.

Of cours radios can be used. However, if they are used for taking game it's clearly illegal. But, you're free to believe different.

Right. That is the point I was trying to make that you have finally admitted. So you can't kill an elk or deer with your radio. Or use said elk-killing radio to commit other crimes. Other than that you're good to go. Finally we agree.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Clearly you are not using them in direct relation to the take of an animal, thus your use is legal.
You are correct, I have seen a crew of guys using them to guide in on animals, which I did report to F&G. That type of BS hurts all of us.