Use of Walkie Talkies in CO

BBob

WKR
did the regs change recently? I swear just a few years ago the brochure specifically stated that no electronic communication could be used in the direct taking or direction to game animals.
No idea. I had been under the impression for awhile they were illegal but after looking into it deeper I can’t find it anywhere that they are.

Jethro

WKR
did the regs change recently? I swear just a few years ago the brochure specifically stated that no electronic communication could be used in the direct taking or direction to game animals.
Rules been the same since at least 2010. That’s as far back as I go with CO.

Sketchy - “Look at meadow 3, I see 4 cows and a bull on the right side.” or “Come to my position now, I’ve got a herd bugling right below me in the timber.”

Probably Okay - “Hey man, I’m headed up to X location, see you at camp after dark.” Or “how about we meet up for lunch?” Or “I got a bull down, go get the ATV and meet me on X ridge after noon.”

At least that’s the way I always approach it.

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
This is one of the many instances that State agencies need to be clear and specific about their regs. Sometimes I get the feeling that they try to vaguely toe both sides of the line so as not to piss off some of the many with their own self-serving interests. Hey, I just want to hunt and enjoy my limited time outdoors!
I agree..... All of the legal scholars that write all of these rules purposely add in all of this ambiguity. I doubt anyone would care if the "hey Fred, there's a bull on this saddle" call came over the net. I'm assuming they want to be able to discourage a group hunt driving animals. Having said that...they write the laws so confusingly that, if an official is having a bad day, they "can" crack down if they want on even the slightest hint of impropriety.

Sidenote: Yes, you can use a non-magnified battery powered red dot with a CO crossbow accommodation permit :)

Poser

WKR
Not because I'm suggesting that anyone disregard the regulations as one should always strive to be legal and ethical, but I'm trying to envision a CPW officer driving around their assigned unit, you know: their ~300,000 acres full of ~1100 hunters that they uniquely patrol, monitoring various radio frequencies, triangulating positions, and then hiking 2.5 miles and 1600 feet in to verify. I've only seen a CPW officer more than a 100 yards from a vehicle one time (and that was on a city trail checking for winter closure violations) and I've never heard of a radio violation.

Again, I'm not suggesting anyone be lax with regulations, but, short of a violation falling into their laps, is this something that CPW even goes out of their way to enforce?

Last year during my archery mule deer hunt multiple groups of hunters (including locals and outfitted) were using various communication devices to both assist stalkers to bedded bucks and even drive deer out of basins towards clients. It's the most frustrated I've ever been on a public land hunt. I still haven't put all the details online because I try not to get mad about a hobby.

If it is illegal, it's not strongly enforced.

KsRancher

WKR
3 Pages and I still don't think we have determined if it's legal or not. I wouldn't use them. But have no problem with someone using them if they are legal.

intunegp

WKR
3 Pages and I still don't think we have determined if it's legal or not. I wouldn't use them. But have no problem with someone using them if they are legal.

I read through all the Colorado revised statutes that have been linked in this thread and can't find anything that says it is illegal to communicate with radios during a hunt. I think @BBob nailed it here:

Where in the wildlife code does it state this? It's not there. It's not illegal to use radios person to person to report wildlife to one another, it is illegal to use a radio to communicate person to person something to do something illegal. An example from the law opinion in one of my links "there is a herd of elk coming your way – shoot one for me!."

I'll add: I want them to be illegal but I can't find it. Show me....

If someone really wants to get to the bottom of this they should hop on the phone with a warden or at least the local CPW office.

Jethro

WKR
I knew they were legal before I moved to post #2, as did a few others. Even the OP knew before he simply ask what kind of range he could expect. You can't use communication devices in CO if they are helping you violate the law. To each their own, I simply don't find that at all confusing.

OP
T
For piece of mind, I contacted CPW in Hot Sulphur Springs for clarification. They are legal to use. The only way it becomes illegal is if you break the law while using them, or use them to facilitate illegal activity. Not saying that I would use them this way, but it would still be legal to use radios to walk a hunter in on a bull. But if that hunter shoots a bull on private property, or it ends up being a moose or something, an extra charge of using radios to facilitate the illegal activity would be added by the game warden.

I appreciate everyone’s help.

I read through all the Colorado revised statutes that have been linked in this thread and can't find anything that says it is illegal to communicate with radios during a hunt. I think @BBob nailed it here:

If someone really wants to get to the bottom of this they should hop on the phone with a warden or at least the local CPW office.
The regs don't specifically say I can't use a spoon to kill a game animal. Under the thought process you're using, it must be legal, right?

BBob

WKR
Colorado as well as other states are pretty specific on what weapons are legal. Since none specifically say spoons are legal I’d assume that they are not.

Colorado for example.

LEGAL HUNTING METHODS
1. CENTER-FIRE RIFLES
a. Must be .24 caliber (6mm) or larger
b. Must have at least a 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long
c. If semiautomatic, they cannot hold more than 6 rounds on the magazine and chamber combined
d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh at least 70 grains for deer, pronghorn and bear, .85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000 ft. pounds as rated by the manufacturer.
e. It is illegal to hunt game birds, small game mammals or fur bearers with a center fire rifle larger than .23 caliber during the regular rifle deer and elk rifle seasons west of I-25 unless hunters have an unfilled deer or elk license for the season they are hunting. A small game license is still required.
2. FULLY AUTOMATIC RIFLES prohibited
3. MUZZLE LOADING RIFLES & SMOOTH BORE MUSKETS
a. In-line muzzle loaders are legal
b. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical projectile the length of which does not exceed twice the diameter.
c. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be .40 caliber or larger
d. To hunt elk or moose, they must be .50 caliber or larger
e. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh at least 170 grains
f. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh at least 210 grains
g. Shotshell primers are legal
h. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzle loading seasons
i . Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzle loading seasons
j . Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzle loading seasons. Scopes prohibited. Fiber optic sights and fluorescent paints are legal. Artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are illegal
k. Sabots are prohibited in muzzle loading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots
4. HAND-HELD BOWS means a long bow, recurved bow or compound bow on which the string is not drawn mechanically under tension. String or mechanical releases that are hand drawn or hand held without other attachments or connections to the bow (other than bowstring) are legal.
a. Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must use arrows equipped with a broadhead with an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least 2 steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface.
b. Only legal hand-held bows can be used by archery license holders during archery season
c. Min. draw weight of 35 lbs. required. Let-off max. of 80%
d. No part of bow’s riser (handle) or track, trough, channel, arrow rest or other device (excluding cables and bowstring) that attaches to riser can contact support and/or guide the arrow from a point rearward of the bow’s brace height behind the undrawn string.
e. Bows can propel only a single arrow at a time. No mechanism for automatically loading arrows permitted.
f. Scopes, electronics or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the bow.
g. Hydraulic or pneumatic technology cannot be used to derive or store energy to propel arrows. Explosive arrows are prohibited.
5. SHOTGUNS
a. Must be 20 gauge or larger and fire a single slug
b. Barrel length must be min. 18 inches with min. overall length of 26 inches.
6. CROSS BOWS
a. Draw weight must be min. 125 lbs.
b. Draw length must be min. 14 inches from front of bow to nocking point of drawstring
c. Positive mechanical safety device required
d. Bolt must be at least 16 inches long, have a broadhead at least 7/8-inch wide and at least 2 steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface
e. Cannot be used in archery season
7. HANDGUNS
a. Barrels must be at least 4 inches long
b. .24 caliber (6mm) or larger diameter expanding bullet required
c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited
d. Must use cartridge or load that produces min. energy of 550 ft lbs. at 50 yds.
e. Allowed in the field only if not concealed.

Wrong.

Yes they do - The Regs state MINIMUM requirements.
And a spoon is not legal
The regs do not tell us minimum requirements. Like I ststed previously, they tell us what we can do, what is legal. Thus, if it is not in the regs telling us we can do it, it is simply illegal.

The conceot above is not typically understood by many, because they were only taught criminal law, which does the opposite. Criminal law tells us what we can't do, i.e., what is illegal.

Due to this distraction between criminal law and game laws, and many not grasping this distinction, many think wardens do not have a legal right to search without a warrant when a person appeared to have been or being engaged in hunting or fishing; and they'd be wrong, because game laws are Prima facie laws, which means, first impression. Which translates to the impression assumed correct until proved otherwise.

Colorado as well as other states are pretty specific on what weapons are legal. Since none specifically say spoons are legal I’d assume that they are not.

Colorado for example.

LEGAL HUNTING METHODS
Exactly, you made my point. Now apply the same logic to using radios.

intunegp

WKR
Exactly, you made my point. Now apply the same logic to using radios.

I know you're struggling with this, but you revived this thread immediately under this post...

For piece of mind, I contacted CPW in Hot Sulphur Springs for clarification. They are legal to use. The only way it becomes illegal is if you break the law while using them, or use them to facilitate illegal activity. Not saying that I would use them this way, but it would still be legal to use radios to walk a hunter in on a bull. But if that hunter shoots a bull on private property, or it ends up being a moose or something, an extra charge of using radios to facilitate the illegal activity would be added by the game warden.

I appreciate everyone’s help.

edit: This is in regards to radios, not spoons. You're confused about Prima Facie laws and their extent. The regs don't say it is legal to chew bubblegum while you hunt...does that make it illegal?

I know you're struggling with this, but you revived this thread immediately under this post...

edit: This is in regards to radios, not spoons.
Your still struggling to fully grasp the legal concepts involved. But hey, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't maje um think.

Plenty of enforcement agencies chose to not address things under their purview, while people take advantage of the lack of lefal oversite. until they do.

I'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited: