Use of Walkie Talkies in CO

I just don't see many guys using walkie talkies any more in most Western states. It's antiquated technology with limited range. And if the regs are misunderstood or purposely violated can get you a fine, loss of downed game, or loss of hunting privileges. Not worth it. Just get an inReach, onX, and power bank problems solved.

BBob

WKR
It is illegal to use them to report the locations of wildlife to others (to coordinate hunting).
Where in the wildlife code does it state this? It's not there. It's not illegal to use radios person to person to report wildlife to one another, it is illegal to use a radio to communicate person to person something to do something illegal. An example from the law opinion in one of my links "there is a herd of elk coming your way – shoot one for me!."

I'll add: I want them to be illegal but I can't find it. Show me....

Jakerex

WKR
Where in the wildlife code does it state this? It's not there. It's not illegal to use radios person to person to report wildlife to one another, it is illegal to use a radio to communicate person to person something to do something illegal. An example from the law opinion in one of my links "there is a herd of elk coming your way – shoot one for me!."

I'll add: I want them to be illegal but I can't find it. Show me....

It’s posted above if you read the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
It’s posted above if you read the thread
I've seen and read all of the thread. Are you talking about the screenshot that was posted? What document or where did it come from? It's not in the regs, it's not in CO code and I can't find anything on the CPW website. As I said show me but back it up.

I love these legal threads. Just wait until someone posts "I have a CO crossbow exemption...can I use a battery powered non-magnifying optic?".

Good info to know on here though....

Have you ever looked at the actual Rules and regs? I’m not talking the brochure I’m talking the like 5000 page CPW rules and regs book. I can’t remember if it’s actually that long but holy crap, there’s a ton in there. They give you the basic definitions and most problem regs in the brochure, honestly if I was a game warden I’d hate to have to have to try and understand all that

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I'm far too dumb to understand any of that legal stuff. Took me loops to get the answer to my jest above. Won't thread hijack though....

Jakerex

WKR
I've seen and read all of the thread. Are you talking about the screenshot that was posted? What document or where did it come from? It's not in the regs, it's not in CO code and I can't find anything on the CPW website. As I said show me but back it up.

Ok, You read everything and completely understand the law. Go right ahead and use two-way radios to communicate to your buddies about the location of game while hunting. You can explain to the man that you read the book and there is no law against it.

I’m not going to do it, and I bet most common sense folks won’t either because I guarantee you it would result in a fine of caught.

sndmn11

WKR

Traveler

WKR
Going to try my hand for a second time at 3rd rifle season in CO. My brother and I are both planning on getting tags and hunting together. While discussing a plan, the topic of possibly using walkie talkies was brought up to cover more area at once.

Anyone experimented with this while hunting in CO? How true is the range of the devices while at that altitude and with the mountains? Any recommendations on devices would be appreciated.
Radio connections are entirely dependent on terrain and line of sight. There are few places in CO where radios are better than phones anymore. If you want broadest coverage use inreach or spot x. Whatever the tech, I doubt it really changes your hunt success odds much.

Krolly

FNG
Walkie talkies saved my butt in CO a few years ago. Not everyone has an inreach. I was way above camp at about 10500ft and shot a mule deer right before dark. The way I got there would take me 8 hrs to get back to camp. Since I got side tracked going bac that way was not the best option. Guys at camp guided me down a 40 degree grade using walkie talkies to cut hours off my arrival. Plus they knew I was alright and didn’t need to worry.
They are definitely legal and nice to have in certain situations. Work better on ridges than in canyons.

Jaquomo

WKR
Know that WCOs drive around with FRS/GMRS scanners to listen in on hunters. My WCO buddy has some great stories of crazy stuff he has listened in on. He once recognized my voice when I was relaying my location to a buddy way up a valley, broke into our conversation, asked if it was me, and we had a good laugh.

intunegp

WKR
I've used the Midland X-Talker T77VP5 for the past few years and been happy with them but we hardly push the limits. When hunting with my dad we typically try to cover two different areas of the same ridge...he's not helpless or hugely at risk for problems, but I feel best about our overall situation if I can get to his location in a 20-30 minute hike. We text for any chit-chat/planning and only use the radios once one of us has shot. This leads to our usage being mostly line-of-sight or at least within a few hundred yards of each other but they work great for that.

I've also used them in a larger group where we may have 8-10 guys spread out within a mile or two radius...in that situation each guy can typically hear the 2-3 guys closest to them and messages can be relayed from there. This is mostly a combination of 4-wheeling/scouting/camping/etc. but it's nice to have instant communication even if it's somewhat limited.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just be ready since it will be you and everyone else with radios, stepping on each other or dudes will be listening to channels, saying nonsense, ect it’s actually pretty amusing

bz_711

WKR
Picked up some used Motorola walkie talkie's in 2010 and have used them any year we have several of us in one vehicle...work great when hunting a valley with no cell signal. We just use at a couple designated times to check in and then again at dark or pick up time to see where people are coming out to the road.

I love these legal threads. Just wait until someone posts "I have a CO crossbow exemption...can I use a battery powered non-magnifying optic?".

Good info to know on here though....
This is one of the many instances that State agencies need to be clear and specific about their regs. Sometimes I get the feeling that they try to vaguely toe both sides of the line so as not to piss off some of the many with their own self-serving interests. Hey, I just want to hunt and enjoy my limited time outdoors!

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Once you read the actual regulations, you realize the brochure is basically just a summary of the statutory code.

did the regs change recently? I swear just a few years ago the brochure specifically stated that no electronic communication could be used in the direct taking or direction to game animals.