US Wildlife Services is seeking public comment on their wolf management efforts in Idaho

this last week I spent running around hitting up number of selway Tribs testing the reaction time and visual acuity of the resident (not anadromous) rainbows cutts and whitefish I could’ve collected enough wolf shit to spin yarn and make clothes out of the elk hair in it. I spend a few months in Idaho annually- I would like to comment in favor of ongoing aggressive Managment based on what I’ve seen as changes since my first trip with my dad in 94, but out of respect for Idaho residents- I’ll stay out of it. besides that I know I would word it wrong and it wouldn’t help anyway. Thanks for the education Buzz, jmcd22.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
Just fished in that same area and the Lochsa, NF of clearwater

Wolf sign everywhere and no moose sign. 15 years ago would see at least 1/2 dozen moose and lots of moose sign everywhere. Thank God the wolves haven’t wiped out the west slope cuts and white fish. Yet

I was hoping to see a wolf at close range and stare deeply into its eyes and make a spiritual connection like the guys that live in urban areas with no wolves yet. Maybe in a few wywhen I return

Wolf sign everywhere and no moose sign. 15 years ago would see at least 1/2 dozen moose and lots of moose sign everywhere. Thank God the wolves haven’t wiped out the west slope cuts and white fish. Yet

I was hoping to see a wolf at close range and stare deeply into its eyes and make a spiritual connection like the guys that live in urban areas with no wolves yet. Maybe in a few wywhen I return

now That we’ve blown it up on rokslide it’ll be like fishing the Russian in June next time we try em...

Kiss our honeyholes goodbye.

I too look forward to feeling that similar passion- becoming a true wolf gayzer

You probably didn’t have any granola on you... Granola is a must to make spiritual connections with wolves 💁‍♀️

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much used what you wrote with minor changes. Good stuff!
This is what I wrote:

Please continue aggressive wolf control.

These apex predators are incredibly well adapted to kill elk and deer and moose. Moose populations in particular have dropped tremendously across the range of these introduced wolves to the point where the Shiras moose may need to be soon protected by the Endangered Species Act (ESA). There is no more efficient killing machine than a pack of wolves working in concert together, as they do. There is no North American apex predator better adapted at reproducing young at a high rate than a pack of wolves. This and the fact that wolves are incredibly efficient travelers means wolf populations are continuing to climb and consequently wolves will continue to necessarily spread at high rates as their populations increase.

The global gray wolf population is estimated at 300,000. Hardly endangered. They are present in many, many countries in the northern hemisphere.

Wolves can kill, reproduce and spread at phenomenal rates. There may not be a more well adapted apex predator on earth.

For example, a well agreed upon figure is that approximately 23 elk are killed for each wolf per year in the Rocky Mtn. states wolves inhabit. It is estimated there are not at least 3000 gray wolves in the Northern Rockies. You do the math. At the rate these apex predators reproduce and populate new areas, this can have devastating effects on deer and elk and moose populations wherever the wolf goes. As one wolf extremist said, "Wherever the wolf sets its foot, it's king." And it's not just the numbers of elk/deer killed. Many female deer and elk abort their fawns/calves simply due to the constant stress wolves put on our wild ungulate populations, not to mention the 'killing for fun' that wolf packs do routinely...many animals killed that wolves haven't even taken a bite out of or they eat the fetus fawn or calf in the female deer or elk only.

The concept the masses are sold about wolves only killing the sick and injured is completely bogus. Extremists have done a great job of perpetuating myths like this.

The Pandoras Box was opened many years ago before the effects were known because of philosophy and politics, not necessarily good science. And the manner in which is was done has been abusive to the intent of the ESA.

A recent study (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190403122429.htm) on introducing apex predators to an ecosystem also questions the supposed benefits we've been told of for years regarding introducing apex predators to ecosystems. Could it possibly be that we've been duped by the philosophy and politics of the political and cultural elite? That never happens.

Wolves must be very aggressively controlled to keep them out of the rancher/farmer/country dweller back yards where they kill livestock and pets routinely. There's plenty of wolves. Many, many times over the originally agreed upon "non-essential experimental" population set before the initial release of these introduced wolves back in the mid-nineties.

Extremist groups have sued the USFWS many, many times and have (ridiculously) been effective at constantly moving the goalposts from the originally set "non-essential, experimental" numbers in terms of how many wolves there need to be. This is not really that surprising when you realize how much money they make off the of the taxpayer when they go judge shopping and find a sympathetic judge in front of whom to plead their case--then the feds have to pay what their lawyers charge when these extremist groups win.

And, portraying the wolf as an honorable 'symbol of the wild', etc., that must be 'saved' is the other way these groups make money from the masses indoctrinated by these groups over the years. It really is a sick cycle. Follow the money.

The wolf is not endangered. Far from it.

Manage the wolf--aggressively.