Upland vest for the rest of small game?

Bowtie747

FNG
Anyone use a upland vest when hunting squirrels, rabbits, dove. Any of that sorta thing. I know their big in the pheasant and so on world. Just seems like a nice piece of gear for hauling your harvested game around. Maybe some water, snacks, shells.

Yes, since my Lab hunts more than birds everything the season is open on and we connect with goes into the game pouch.

Except for the first squirrel...Max loves to run around lording over the first squirrel for about 20 minutes first...then into the game bag on the vest :)

He's pretty adorable while hes running around and leaping joyfully with the first squirrel in his mouth so I indulge him...then its back to the hunt. Lab grins for days.

Great for carrying the dog's water (and mine) our first aid kits, some food, etc as well.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I hate game pouches in a vest. Growing up I swear I spent as much time untangling myself and that pouch from briars as much as watching for grouse or pheasants. I now use a fanny pack thing with shoulder straps for squirrels. Bass Pro pack I bought in 2006 or so. I try to skin and ziplock them now sooner than later and it will hold several. Still do the orange vest of course but a tighter fitting one without frills.

Now that I'm old I hunt with a .32 percussion TC just so it's harder. Lol. And more fun. I use my bino harness for the "possibles" and it works great.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I've used my orvis sling upland pack vest fr rabbit hunting. Worked fine. It's carried, chukar, sharptail, blue grouse, sage grouse, pheasant, rabbits

I use an older model upland vest for all the upland birds as well as squirrels and rabbits. Works well to keep everything organized and since I’m hunting all of those critters with a dog it helps to consolidate the whistles, treats, and other little things that come with running dogs into one general piece of kit.

WKR
Hunt Redi and Final Rise are two I have been around and would serve the purpose described well. Those companies both support the VDD-GNA so I tend to try and use them as well.

OP
Bowtie747

Bowtie747

FNG
Hunt Redi and Final Rise are two I have been around and would serve the purpose described well. Those companies both support the VDD-GNA so I tend to try and use them as well.
what is the vdd-gna?

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I use my orvis vest but squirrels get skinned and thrown in a ziplock as soon as they hit the ground 👍
100x easier to skin em when they are fresh!!

OP
Bowtie747

Bowtie747

FNG
I use my orvis vest but squirrels get skinned and thrown in a ziplock as soon as they hit the ground 👍
100x easier to skin em when they are fresh!!
Slit across the back, step, pull and go. Really good idea man! I never think of it tbh

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an upland vest from Orvis a few years ago and haven't looked back. It wasn't cheap, but I don't regret it.