Upland/Bird hunting pants

NEhunter

WKR
Just wondering what you guys like to use that hunt upland birds. Ive been wearing Filson chaps over jeans for years but was thinking of adding a pair of brush pants also. Here are a few that I have been looking at, a couple cheaper and a couple pricier options. Any thoughts on these or other options?

MN Fire Hose Briar Pants - Duluth Trading

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Best Upland Field Pants / Upland Briar Pants -- Orvis

Double Hunting Pant | Filson

topher89

WKR
No experience with them but I saw Patagonia's Field Pants the other day. They have a very upland look and seem similar to the LL Beans. No clue on quality but definitely an option

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Filson. I've had the same 2 pair going on 11 years, but only wear one pair. Lol. The originals are still going strong. Treat them at the beginning of each year. Only downside is smelling like a box of crayons after wearing them and definitely wear a light something underneath. I hunt KS and occasionally SD in them. Everything from CRP to milo stubble to cane. Never a scratch on my legs. May seem expensive at first, but they will last longer than I will.

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
Filson. I've had the same 2 pair going on 11 years, but only wear one pair. Lol. The originals are still going strong. Treat them at the beginning of each year. Only downside is smelling like a box of crayons after wearing them and definitely wear a light something underneath. I hunt KS and occasionally SD in them. Everything from CRP to milo stubble to cane. Never a scratch on my legs. May seem expensive at first, but they will last longer than I will.
Weedwhacker, which filson pants do you run? The tin pants or the ones that I linked that are a combo tin and shelter cloth?

I F#$%Ing hate filson. too hot and sweaty. too much hype and not enough function for the money. waxed cotton is the goretex of the 1800's.

for chukar anymore I just wear my sitka ascent or 90% pants for mobility and gaiters. I have never been happier since I switched to that system and ditched the heavy brush pants which nobody can seem to get right for anyone that spends a moderately active day in the field.

for every thing else I really like the LLbean tech pants. after three seasons of being my only brush pants and seeing a lot of use they still look almost new. They crotch and upper leg area are fairly stretchy and gusseted so climbing over logs and doing the limbo is much more comfortable.

I also really like my LL bean Goretex brush pants, probably the best value in tough rain gear out there. I have had mine for 6 years of busting through black berries after grouse and blacktails and they are just now starting leak enough for me to notice. I should have bought ten pairs back when they were only $100.00 apiece.

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
What birds? Chukar, huns, blues? Kuiu attacks. Pheasant? Under armour.
Just wondering what others wear hunting any upland, but personally I hunt pheasant and quail in Nebraska. Kuiu attack and sitka gear likely won't last a season with some of the stuff I end up crashing through. Thanks for all the replies. Ll bean gear seems to get great reviews. Really liking the orvis upland briar pants as well but pricey.

I started with a pair of filson tin chaps. They wear like iron but are hot and heavy.

I love the under Armour version. Second choice is LL bean.

JWP58

WKR
Just wondering what others wear hunting any upland, but personally I hunt pheasant and quail in Nebraska. Kuiu attack and sitka gear likely won't last a season with some of the stuff I end up crashing through. Thanks for all the replies. Ll bean gear seems to get great reviews. Really liking the orvis upland briar pants as well but pricey.

Well species would make a difference for sure. I highly doubt anyone would enjoy wearing heavy Filson chaps or pants while chukar hunting, nor would they be needed.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Weedwhacker, which filson pants do you run? The tin pants or the ones that I linked that are a combo tin and shelter cloth?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think they are the ones you linked. I checked the tag and it doesn't say a name for the pant. And I never had the hems finished. I'm tall so kept all the length I could. Bought them off the rack in Pierre, SD. They were on sale so I bought two. Of course that was 2005 or 2006! They aren't perfect as far as breathing, but we work slow and let the dogs do their thing. That's the best part of upland hunting for me anyway. I digress... Sorry for the poor pics.

Last edited:

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I F#$%Ing hate filson. too hot and sweaty. too much hype and not enough function for the money. waxed cotton is the goretex of the 1800's.

for chukar anymore I just wear my sitka ascent or 90% pants for mobility and gaiters. I have never been happier since I switched to that system and ditched the heavy brush pants which nobody can seem to get right for anyone that spends a moderately active day in the field.

for every thing else I really like the LLbean tech pants. after three seasons of being my only brush pants and seeing a lot of use they still look almost new. They crotch and upper leg area are fairly stretchy and gusseted so climbing over logs and doing the limbo is much more comfortable.

I also really like my LL bean Goretex brush pants, probably the best value in tough rain gear out there. I have had mine for 6 years of busting through black berries after grouse and blacktails and they are just now starting leak enough for me to notice. I should have bought ten pairs back when they were only $100.00 apiece.
Well, I don't "F#$%Ing" hate much of anything. They've served me well when its 10 degrees, blowing 25, and frosty or snowing. Or 40 and rainy and wet. And I've never worried about a plum thicket or barbed wire fence tearing them up rendering them useless. Can't imagine much else making it through a decade of abuse like that and still going. Guess I'll continue to pheasant and quail hunt in the 1800's with my obsolete pants.

OP
NEhunter

NEhunter

WKR
I'm not sure to be honest. I think they are the ones you linked. I checked the tag and it doesn't say a name for the pant.
Awesome, thanks for the pics. I believe those are the same in my link. Tough clothing for sure, my chaps are coming up on 20 years old.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I never had chaps because I could never find them long enough. Might be nice though to wear a breathable pant below. Doesn't show well on the bottom pic, but I still have a permanent Skoal ring in the back left pocket. Old habits die hard when in the field! :p

kodiakfly

WKR
Well, I don't "F#$%Ing" hate much of anything. They've served me well when its 10 degrees, blowing 25, and frosty or snowing. Or 40 and rainy and wet. And I've never worried about a plum thicket or barbed wire fence tearing them up rendering them useless. Can't imagine much else making it through a decade of abuse like that and still going. Guess I'll continue to pheasant and quail hunt in the 1800's with my obsolete pants.

Yep, love Filson for certain things. Bird hunting, falling timber to name two. I have a few pairs of their pants in varying weights and for me, the key is to wear a wool base layer...even in the heat to keep them comfortable. But like you said, I don't even think about what I'm walking through and I know my pants are good to go. I've beat the hell out of Filson stuff I bought in the 90's and it's still going strong. Wish they were still j100% USA-made and "old school" Filson. They're more like Woolrich now. Glad my Filson is old Filson.