Upgrading Tent Guy Lines

Scooter88

FNG
Same. No mechanicals for me either. Tie the "Adjustable grip hitch" at both ends and you are good to go.
Yep. Recently had a couple line locks fail on my tipi shelter. Fortunately, I was able to chase down my sleep system before it blew all the way down the mountain.

Scooter88

FNG
Not reflective, but New England Ropes Spiderline in 1.8 mm is great. I just leave a steak loop tied in one end, then run the bitter end through the tent attachment point and use a tautline hitch (in bad weather add a third turn on the loop side and the hold like iron even in heavy wind).

Do you use this same cordage for your tent stakes?

SonnyDay

WKR
I just redid all of my tipi lines with 2mm iron wire, and nylon clam cleats. I find paracord absorbs water and freezes, and it’s impossible to deal with and heavy. Same reason I like the clam cleats instead of knots… But I do rifle hunting, so we usually have snow and cold temperatures.

Scooter88

FNG
I just redid all of my tipi lines with 2mm iron wire, and nylon clam cleats. I find paracord absorbs water and freezes, and it’s impossible to deal with and heavy. Same reason I like the clam cleats instead of knots… But I do rifle hunting, so we usually have snow and cold temperatures.
I’d personally be even more untrustworthy of the clam cleats in colder weather because plastic tends to become brittle in the cold. If I were going to use them, I’d try to source them from a reputable supplier. I imagine they aren’t all created equal, but maybe so? I honestly have no idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️

SonnyDay

WKR
I’d personally be even more untrustworthy of the clam cleats in colder weather because plastic tends to become brittle in the cold. If I were going to use them, I’d try to source them from a reputable supplier. I imagine they aren’t all created equal, but maybe so? I honestly have no idea. 🤷🏻‍♂️
If they are nylon, it's pretty bomber. Cheaper Chinese crap... who knows? This is what North Face and others use on all their big mountain tents. Never had an issue in 100+mph winds (in a mountaineering tent, not in the tipi!).

SonnyDay

WKR
Yeah some of them work pretty well. My old Alaskan Guide has aluminum gizmos and they've held well.
Yep. Used to use aluminum on some tents. Pretty solid.

In summertime I am all about the knotcraft... but when things freeze hard it changes the game.

I head out with my two boys for first rifle in CO in exactly a month from today (couple days of scouting before season starts).

I promise I will submit a field report!

Scooter88

FNG
Yeah some of them work pretty well. My old Alaskan Guide has aluminum gizmos and they've held well.
Nice. I haven’t seen anything like that. At least not for lightweight cordage typically used in backpacking shelters. I looked around on the Internet a bit and didn’t see anything. If you have additional info on where these might be found, I’d be interested in learning.

Nice. I haven’t seen anything like that. At least not for lightweight cordage typically used in backpacking shelters. I looked around on the Internet a bit and didn’t see anything. If you have additional info on where these might be found, I’d be interested in learning.
Yeah that line isn't micro but maybe half the size of paracord, they're like a triangle, tension them out and turn them sideways. I haven't seen that style sold independently, came with the tent probably 10-12 years ago. I still prefer to just tie a taut line hitch on everything else, but since these work and I'm not trying to shave weight I don't bother.

In case it helps, here are the nylon ones I bought on Amazon. They come out of Latvia... but arrived much sooner than was predicted.

They look to be identical to what's on my North Face VE-25 mountaineering tent.
Do those work well? I have some that came with some micro guy lines I bought and haven't used yet. I played with them, easy to set but they strike me as extremely fragile and seems like they could slip with some vibrating winds. If they've been good to you I may give them a chance, haven't thrown them away yet because I'm a pack rat.

I bought this style a long time ago, I may have been using them wrong and they may have been too big for my cord but I tested them around 2017 and they slipped in testing/playing with them on the couch so I never used them.

SonnyDay

WKR
Do those work well? I have some that came with some micro guy lines I bought and haven't used yet. I played with them, easy to set but they strike me as extremely fragile and seems like they could slip with some vibrating winds. If they've been good to you I may give them a chance, haven't thrown them away yet because I'm a pack rat.
They are new to my tipi... but I have used them to anchor mountaineering tents in some seriously insane wind and -40 temps, and never had any issues. TNF is rapidly becoming a fashion brand... but their big mountain tents are still top of the line and used on Alaska/Himalayan climbs and such.

Hope that helps!

They are new to my tipi... but I have used them to anchor mountaineering tents in some seriously insane wind and -40 temps, and never had any issues. TNF is rapidly becoming a fashion brand... but their big mountain tents are still top of the line and used on Alaska/Himalayan climbs and such.

Hope that helps!
I'll give them a shot, especially since I already have them, thank you. They certainly don't weigh anything. The wildcard is I have no idea where I got them or what brand they are, so the material may not be up to par but there's only one way to find out...

I use a variety of these, and all of my guy out points have a small loop of heavy duty shock cord added.