Upgrading binocs - Help with 8x32 vs 8x42

dks07

FNG
I hunt deer and turkey in the Midwest and have been using Vortex Viper HD 8x42’s for the past few seasons. I’m looking to upgrade and would like some feedback. The 8x zoom work fine for the areas I hunt, but I’m undecided on 42mm or 32mm. At times I’ve felt like 8x42’s are too cumbersome to carry, so after doing some research I purchased a pair of Conquest HD 8x32’s.

After receiving them, they unfortunately did not work out like I’d hoped. The biggest issue for me was I couldn’t find seen to align my eyes without having shadows/blackouts. I tried the eyecups in all different positions and holding them different ways and angles and I just couldn’t get them to work for me. I was able to return them, but I had to pay a restocking fee and return shipping.

So before I lose too much more money in testing other options, I was hoping to get some feedback regarding if this is something I am likely to experience with all 32mm binocs or is it possible the Conquests in particular just didn’t fit me right? Unfortunately I do not have any retailers around my area that carry higher end glass so going and trying them out in person prior to purchasing is not an option.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
This is my experience. By that I mean shadowing, and a very narrow margin for eye alignment with an 8x32.

I did a bit of reading and one source said that the human pupil is typically ~5MM. The 8x32 has a 4MM exit pupil vs the 5.25MM exit pupil of the 8x42. I have compared my 8x32 Cabelas Euro to my 8x42 SLC. The 8x42 is more pleasant for the user.

The phrase "ease of viewing" is sometimes used to describe the experience with a 7x42 or 8x42 binos when compared to other configurations. I believe it is because of the larger exit pupils, assuming all binos in the comparison are of reasonable quality.

I consider the 8x32 a great option for travel, people who are weight conscious, or more casual about glassing. But if you are logging several hours behind the glass the 8x42 is much more user friendly.

OP
D

dks07

FNG
This is my experience. By that I mean shadowing, and a very narrow margin for eye alignment with an 8x32.

I did a bit of reading and one source said that the human pupil is typically ~5MM. The 8x32 has a 4MM exit pupil vs the 5.25MM exit pupil of the 8x42. I have compared my 8x32 Cabelas Euro to my 8x42 SLC. The 8x42 is more pleasant for the user.

The phrase "ease of viewing" is sometimes used to describe the experience with a 7x42 or 8x42 binos when compared to other configurations. I believe it is because of the larger exit pupils, assuming all binos in the comparison are of reasonable quality.

I consider the 8x32 a great option for travel, people who are weight conscious, or more casual about glassing. But if you are logging several hours behind the glass the 8x42 is much more user friendly.

Thanks for the feedback! Even though I prefer how compact the 8x32’s are, I don’t think I’m willing to sacrifice the ease of use so I will likely just stick with 8x42’s. I was just curious if I moved up into alpha glass range if they would perhaps be more forgiving. However, it sounds as though it’s a result of physics rather than the quality/construction.

I don't know if I agree with the post above.
Exit pupil is a measure of light, of the image, exiting the barrel of the binocular.
How the hinge and distance between the barrels aligns with your eyes is the effect you (OP) refer to as 'shadowing'.
Completely different.
This is the biggest issue with binoculars, how they fit your face, your inter-pupillary distance, your brows, everything is subjective.
Some people use the eyecups, some do not....I hate having the eyecups extended.
Per your experience, many people think the Conquest HD is a very solid player. Obviously, they didn't fit you so you returned them.
I'm not sure the 42mm version would have made a difference.
Go to a well-stocked store and try a few on to see.
Just like buying a pair of boots.

OP
D

dks07

FNG
I don't know if I agree with the post above.
Exit pupil is a measure of light, of the image, exiting the barrel of the binocular.
How the hinge and distance between the barrels aligns with your eyes is the effect you (OP) refer to as 'shadowing'.
Completely different.
This is the biggest issue with binoculars, how they fit your face, your inter-pupillary distance, your brows, everything is subjective.
Some people use the eyecups, some do not....I hate having the eyecups extended.
Per your experience, many people think the Conquest HD is a very solid player. Obviously, they didn't fit you so you returned them.
I'm not sure the 42mm version would have made a difference.
Go to a well-stocked store and try a few on to see.
Just like buying a pair of boots.
As I mentioned, there are unfortunately no stores anywhere near me that carry a good selection of high end binocs. So I may just have to continue buying and trying until I find a pair that work for me.

jg1418

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss offers a longer eyecup free of charge for the conquest series bino.

Huge upgrade and eliminates the issue you were having with your 8x32.

OP
D

dks07

FNG

I had read about this and contacted Zeiss about it. They were going to charge me for them and also I was concerned I wouldn't get them before the return period was up so that's why I decided not to take a chance on them.

jg1418

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. My 2 hunting buddies both have the conquest 8x32 and they got them for free.

I had been saving a long time and finally purchased a swaro 8x32 SV bino.

Both of those conquests hang with my swaro.

Those zeiss 8x32 are a great bino and great value.

Hope that helps. Thanks

mthayr

WKR
I'm also solidly in the 8x42 camp. I agree with the "ease of use" as stated above, but I would add they also offer FOV and twilight capability over larger magnification or smaller objective lenses. For these reasons I bought a pair of Kowa BD II 6.5x32 binoculars for the truck, travel, and times when I just want something more compact. For Eastern (and I'd wager mid-western) use, I think the 6.5 magnification is entirely usable, and they are an incredible value. You might want to check them out if you're looking for a 2nd/more compact pair of binoculars.

So, I don't understand the idea that longer eyecups would eliminate the shadowing or (if I'm understanding the OP) reduction in viewable image.
To me, the farther my eyes are from the ocular, the narrower the FOV.
I screw the eyecups in and mount the eyecup against my eyebrows for the best viewable image.
Longer eyecups seem to exacerbate the issue.
Maybe it's just me but if somebody can explain it differently, I'm here to learn.

I'm also curious what retailer charged the OP a restocking fee.

Kurts86

WKR
I do like alpha glass 8x30’s for Eastern hunting. My dad has the older SLC 8x30’s and they are a nicer size to pack around turkey hunting or in a deer stand.

The 8x30’s do seems to be less forgiving of optical setup. I never could get a good setup playing with EL 8x32’s but I can with CL 8x30’s and SLC 8x30’s.

The downside to 8x30/32’s is that no one makes a bino harness that really saves space. My dad has an XS FHF harness but that was a 1 time production run.

OP
D

dks07

FNG
So, I don't understand the idea that longer eyecups would eliminate the shadowing or (if I'm understanding the OP) reduction in viewable image.
To me, the farther my eyes are from the ocular, the narrower the FOV.
I screw the eyecups in and mount the eyecup against my eyebrows for the best viewable image.
Longer eyecups seem to exacerbate the issue.
Maybe it's just me but if somebody can explain it differently, I'm here to learn.

I'm also curious what retailer charged the OP a restocking fee.

I’m new to RS so I don’t want to break any rules as I know some of these forums are strict about taking about certain retailers/vendors unless you’re a paid sponsor. If I was out of my probation period, I would just send you a PM :) I will say that it was one of the most popular online optics sites. It wasn’t a ton of money, but by the time I paid that fee plus the return shipping it will start to add up if I were to buy and return too many more pairs.

OP
D

dks07

FNG
I’m new to RS so I don’t want to break any rules as I know some of these forums are strict about taking about certain retailers/vendors unless you’re a paid sponsor. If I was out of my probation period, I would just send you a PM :) I will say that it was one of the most popular online optics sites. It wasn’t a ton of money, but by the time I paid that fee plus the return shipping it will start to add up if I were to buy and return too many more pairs.

Also, just to clarify they actually refer to it as a “return handling fee” not a restocking fee. I’m assuming it’s to help cover their cost of the original shipping, which is understandable.

centershot

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly your Viper 8x42's are very very good. The gains you will see going to 2X the price tag are minimal. A little better depth of field and a little better contrast are what you will get. They are no magic pill.

But, if you want to buy a new bino, don't let me hold you back. I had a Swaro CL 8x30 (latest version) that was a fantastic mid size bino and should be on your short list.

prm

WKR
I have Swaro CL 8x30s. I’ve never found them to be difficult in any way. They are my favorite hunting bino. There have been a couple times I wondered if some 8x56 binos would be better suited to viewing from a tree stand at last light. But overall very pleased with the CLs. I also have some older 10x42 wb Habicht SLC Swaros, and 15x56 Meoptas. I agree with the above that the 8x42 Viper is underrated. I had those and was always impressed. Not saying you can’t find things better about high end binos, but it’s certainly on the margins.

Sorry the Conquest eye relief just isn’t working for you — too bad, as they are a great value. A bit chunky for a 32mm, but they offer a great view and good value. Agree with those who point out the obvious advantages of a 40+mm over a 32. All else being equal they just deliver more detail and a more immersive experience.

For the type of hunting you’re describing as well as preferences in weight/handling I’d highly recommend the Zeiss 8x40 SFL. I’ve own(ed) quite a few binoculars and the Nikon Monarch HG had been my “go to“ for a lightweight and easy handling 40+mm bino for bowhunting and general eastern woodland use. However, the Zeiss has replaced them - superb optics, incredible color saturation/accuracy, wonderful focuser and build quality, and the ergonomics/haptics are a dream. All in a compact package. I just love using them.

BinWA

FNG
+1 for the CL's, I love my Swaro 8x30. I think it boils down to weight and size vs low light performance.