Upgrade Rifle Scope or New Spotting Scope

Great points and advice everyone, thank you.

I have a Vortex Razor HD 10x50 for my binos and a Vortex Ranger 1300 as my rangefinder. Both have worked well thus far for me, and I haven't found an immediate need to upgrade either of them. I'll be (hopefully) going in southern WY in the mountains with a buddy who will be renting binos.

My chief concern is the lack of precision with the BDC reticle. Transparently that's what got me interested in the Razor LHT (though the reviews on losing zero after a small drop is very concerning). I also anticipate that the elevation and windage knobs on this scope could be challenging to manage in the field.

View attachment 715484View attachment 715485

Your binos and range finder are good-to-go. Recommend renting a spotter, if as a test-drive on one you might want to buy later, if nothing else.

Regarding the BDC, new scope, etc... here's my best recommendation, one I'd give to a friend:

You're overthinking it, and under-hunting it. Don't worry about BDC, because until you can put 10 rounds out of 10 into a paper plate at 300 yards in field conditions, you have no business shooting beyond that. Sincerely.

Start at 200yds prone - from standing. Stand, go prone, 1 shot. Stand, go prone, 1 shot. Once you've validated yourself at 200yds, go to 250. Then 300. Don't think about this scope for a single second more until you've done that.

That's the best advice I can offer - go do that practice and validation of personal capabilities, and clear your mind.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
To use that reticle hes have to buy that exact ammo and hope he gets that exact ballistics in -his- rifle in his environment. Not a fan of bdc reticles myself.
Id much rather suggest someone learn long range shooting with a reticle thats usable and one they will stick with for a very long time.

Great points and advice everyone, thank you.

I have a Vortex Razor HD 10x50 for my binos and a Vortex Ranger 1300 as my rangefinder. Both have worked well thus far for me, and I haven't found an immediate need to upgrade either of them. I'll be (hopefully) going in southern WY in the mountains with a buddy who will be renting binos.

My chief concern is the lack of precision with the BDC reticle. Transparently that's what got me interested in the Razor LHT (though the reviews on losing zero after a small drop is very concerning). I also anticipate that the elevation and windage knobs on this scope could be challenging to manage in the field.

View attachment 715484View attachment 715485

If you absolutely have to scratch the itch of getting a new scope, this one is getting excellent reviews on here for its ability to track and hold its zero after being bumped, and is right in your budget: https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs1-2-2-5-15x44-ffp?variant=42954112729259

It might be worthwhile dig into some of the threads on scope lapping and mounting scopes, and some of the drop-testing evaluations that judge a scope's durability and ruggedness.

tracker12

WKR
I’d shoot at your planned distances with what you have. If it doesn’t work out buy something that does. That being said you have more than enough for that range. I have hunted elk and mule deer since the 80’s with a Leupold VX III 2.5x8 until last year when I upgraded to a VX5 HD 2-10