Upcoming 4th season hunt, what am I missing?

jwatts

WKR
I was lucky enough to pull a 4th season mule deer tag in CO this year. It's in a unit that I've elk hunted several times. I'm pretty familiar with the area and the trophy potential. This summer I made a trip to scout and spent a few days in the lower elevation portions of the unit where I hadn't previously spent much time. I identified several places that I could access higher ridges and glassing points overlooking sage flats and open areas. I identified open and closed roads, and trailheads/parking spots that would offer access to multiple vantage points. I have my gear figured out. I am bringing my son (who also has an elk tag) so he'll have a spotting scope too. My tire chains fit, my winch is ready, my inreach works.

I plan to get to the unit 2 or 3 days before season opens. The plan is to split the lower elevation portion of the unit into 3rds. I'll look at the southern portion on the drive in, hit the middle and north/west side the next 2 days. I'll be looking for doe groups, looking for signs of rutting, noting what elevation I am seeing deer and going from there.

Am I missing anything? Any last minute tips before I head out next month?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hopefully you have a really good heat source for your tent. Also, handwarmers are really nice in the cold, and not just for hands. Keep your water in a good cooler to keep it from freezing.

OP
jwatts

jwatts

WKR
Hopefully you have a really good heat source for your tent. Also, handwarmers are really nice in the cold, and not just for hands. Keep your water in a good cooler to keep it from freezing.

Even better than that, we're staying in a cabin centrally located to the unit. I am stocked up on Hot Hands and have some rechargeable handwarmers. My only concern is foot warmth. I'll keep plenty of socks handy to swap throughout the day. Good tip on keeping the water in a cooler for warmth. Not really something I usually have to consider. I like to keep several gallons in the truck to fill bladders and cook with.