Unknown Munitions Tikka Rifle Build

Tweber

FNG
Im really considering getting an Unkown Munitions Tikka Rifle build after talking with Blaine. Has anyone hade a custom rifle from them. Looking for the good and the bad. I'm pretty sold already but figured I should get some more info before finalizing anything.

atmat

WKR
Unknown Munitions is a great company. That said, $3k is a lot of money for a Tikka. Depending what you actually want, you may be able to build your dream Tikka cheaper.

Tikkas are very modular, have abundant aftermarket support, and can be had incredibly cheap. Doing it yourself opens up all the other options not available through UM’s Tikka builder.

For example, I don’t like either of the two McMillan stock choices they have listed. I also think cerakote is silly on a stainless rifle. I don’t use a brake, as I am waiting on suppressors. I also don’t use a bipod, so the pic rail upfront would be wasted on me.

Decide what you actually want in a rifle and price it out first. You may find it looks way different than the options UM has listed.

For example, my 6creed Tikka last year cost me <$1,500 with a used stainless action, PBB prefit, and Stocky’s VG.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Not taking anything away from a great company…

I’ve put together I think it’s 6 or 7 Tikkas now. I’d recommend building it yourself and getting exactly what you want.

Maybe you don’t know what you want out of it and that’s why you’re going this route?

I think they would put together a solid rifle for you. It’s hard to go wrong with Tikka as your starting point. You’ll just pay a whole heck of a lot more to have someone do it for you. If you’re okay with that then press play, they are a good company.

JDunn1205

FNG
With all the prefit barrel options out there now it was just hard for me not to build my own which is what I’m in the process of doing now. Just waiting on my barrel from patriot valley.

Unless you LIKE to tinker, I wouldn’t hesitate to have them build you one. I’ve done probably 8 different tikkas now and it is satisfying, but there have been various setbacks and glitches to work out. It can be really frustrating to try and diagnose a problem. For instance my most recent build I did not torque the barrel nut down tight enough and was having major POI/zero shifts that took a few hundred rounds to diagnose. Plus that barrel still is 100-200fps slower than it should be. I don’t mind dealing with that but if you just want something turn-key I think they would do a great job.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Unless you LIKE to tinker, I wouldn’t hesitate to have them build you one. I’ve done probably 8 different tikkas now and it is satisfying, but there have been various setbacks and glitches to work out. It can be really frustrating to try and diagnose a problem. For instance my most recent build I did not torque the barrel nut down tight enough and was having major POI/zero shifts that took a few hundred rounds to diagnose. Plus that barrel still is 100-200fps slower than it should be. I don’t mind dealing with that but if you just want something turn-key I think they would do a great job.
This! I'm not too fond of gun plumbing and want a rifle I can grab and start reloading/shooting.

I've had six rifles built by UM, and have done load dev on 50 or more of their rifles. They will shoot and if for some reason(almost always a bad carbon barrel) They will fix the issue generally on their dime.

gabenzeke

WKR
As of just a bit ago they have a pretty sweet Tikka 7 prc build ready to go on the website.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Played around with this rifle yesterday… she’s purdy!

b109115ce20be559982feb51d39d5211.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kipper09

WKR

You know what the rifle weighs Ryan? I looked a little and couldn’t find a weight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter609

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t had a tikka built by them but my 338 lapua improved they built for me is a tack driver. I will probably have a 6um built after my 7max barrel is toast.

Scottyboy

WKR

I know I should email UM, which I will, but do you remember what the bbl length was for this one? I hope your answer is 16-18” so I can avoid leadtimes 🫣😂

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I know I should email UM, which I will, but do you remember what the bbl length was for this one? I hope your answer is 16-18” so I can avoid leadtimes 🫣😂
I think it is a 22", but don't quote me on that. :)