Unit 7 Wyoming.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Hi , I was wondering if anyone has hunted unit 7 Wyoming for elk? If so would they be willing to help out with some info on the area or areas that should be given a closer look? I have been looking at a few different areas and are getting things narrowed down some. Thanks in advance, Barry.

Reflex

FNG
I hunted antelope in that area last year. It's a cool unit. I didn't get up into the mountains, so I don't know too much about the unit itself. I did see some elk on the fringe areas...probably escaping some of the hunting pressure up in the higher elevations. Good luck!

tstowater

WKR
I was ready to put in for Unit 7 for elk also. I got nervous that I would draw it and another tag that I wanted. Skipped and will put in for points. I am in the max pool for elk so my chances should be good going forward. I spoke to several outfitters that had access to private ground with some very good hunting. I also got the impression from talking to some other people that some of the good public ground may be hard to access and that much of the private is tied up. That being said, there are some really good bulls in 7 and you don't have the predator problem that you do further west. Contact the game and fish people in the area to see if they can give you some ideas or the chamber of commerce in towns such as Wheatland or Douglas. Good Luck.

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
thanks will give the fish and game a call when i have sometime from work to be able to do it.

B

bearguide

if you hunt the public ground you really need a gps to keep you in the right place, but the hunting is good and there are some great bulls. if you do archery you have a lot better chance. if you get access to private ground you should have no problem at all getting a big one

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks. I did buy the Montana maps how software that shows all the private and public lands. From what I understand that is a valuable tool to have. We might try and get private access, bit it is kinda expense. We are also looking in possible getting permission slips through ranches that work with fish and game granting access to their lands

Last edited: