Unit 6C NM Road conditions

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have heard that some of the roads on national forest roads in 6C are unusable due to blow down. I am going down there for a rifle hunt and just want some clarity on this.

Thanks,

NMT

FNG
Live up here in 6C, most of the main roads are passable by truck but are very rough.

If you use OnX anything that specifies high clearance 4x4 is kind of a toss up getting down it with a truck there has been stuff that looks relatively easy to drive down and you go 1/4 mi down the road and its completely washed out.

If you have a 4wheeler that'd be the easiest way of using the maximum amount of roads.

shwacker

FNG
I've generally found the FS motor vehicle use map to be accurate. There are a lot of closed roads that are inaccessible, but people tend to keep the authorized ones open in my experience. And you may find some of the roads to be rough, depending on where you are coming from and what you are driving.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Also live up in 6c. Agree with the above, the MVUM is usually pretty accurate and roads are open. Definitely doesn't hurt to keep a chainsaw in the truck though especially in the burned areas, trees do come down all the time and you may be waiting awhile if you get boxed in. For the same reason, be careful of widowmakers when you make camp.

NMBigGame

FNG
I live in 6C too. You won't need to worry about chains in late Oct. Chainsaw is always nice. Like everyone said above, USFS has most applicable data. Half the road lines on OnX are lies.