Unit 55 3rd season Colorado

I have read over lots of posts that I could find on 55 3rd season, so I thought I would reach out and see if anyone is willing to share a little information.
My son was lucky enough to draw a tag on the 2nd draw and this is a hunt that more than likely he will never have the pts to draw again or at least not for a long time if he chooses to save pts. I know the unit is not what is once was but its better than sitting at home and I am sure at 16 he will enjoy the hunt. A little about him, he is an avid hunter and has taken animals in 4 different states. He has passed on animals before and believes in trying to take a mature animal for the area he is hunting. I am not sure where all this developed, maybe watching to many hunting videos or reading to many books on the subject.. Anyways hunting has become pretty much his passion that I get to be part of.
I am going to call the warden this week and see what information I can get that will be helpful. So here are a few questions:
1. Is the elk hunting pressure really that high for this unit. Looking at the success rates, its not one of the better OTC tags.
2. With that is it worth picking up an elk tag for him? ITs pretty much one of the cheapest youth tags you can get. But on the other end do we really want to mess around with an elk and burn days away from deer hunting packing it out if he gets lucky???
3. With 3rd season is it worth camping in a tent or is the weather really that cold during that time. I have been told its best to get a hotel room. I also have the possibility of having a trailer.
4. We will probably get there on Thursday/Friday what is typically the best place to try and find a place to camp. I would like to go earlier but my other son has a elk hunt in September and my daughter has a deer hunt during Thanksgiving, so vacation time and missing school are going to be tight this year.
5. How bad are the roads when wet and snow. I have a Tacoma but could also bring a quad.
6. So with that, if anyone has any suggestions on where to start that would be great. We hunt hard and have the right gear to get it done. Just need to put a solid plan together. If anyone can point us in the right direction that would be great.

Please feel free to PM me any information that might help.
Thanks

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
1. Yes
2. If it's cheap, sure. Personally, when I hunt deer, I don't waste time on stinking elk.
3. It can be cold and most likely it will be. I stayed in a trailer, but town is close enough to hunt from. Wall tent would be good too.
4. Tough question. If you get in the wrong place, you could have problems getting a trailer out.
5. Tacoma is fine. I would take chains. We hunted from a Jeep with no problems but did chain up a couple of times. Most trucks we saw had chains on. At first, I thought that is very strange as there wasn't a ton of snow. After driving around on the two tracks I found out why. They are slippery as snot when they have 4-6" of snow.
6. Best tip....keep checking does and glass. Also, be nice to the elk hunters. They could tip you off to a good buck.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
M
Thanks we will probably just focus on deer and if we get lucky maybe try for elk

2nd and 3rd season can be very cold - we had over 2 feet of snow fall the night before 2nd season last year and that made getting around very tough if not impossible without chains. Plenty of elk, but that's a good deer tag and I believe you'd be better off focusing on deer than chasing the OTC elk madness.

I have a 681/68 second season deer tag I burned 3 points for. It’s only about an hour away from 55 but I won’t be out there to explore until September time frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk