Idaho Deer Muzzleloader Tag

Digitata

FNG
Good morning. I could use a bit of help from the kind folks here. I just found out last night that I drew the hunt a in Idaho. I honestly didn't think I would draw and I have to admit I am unprepared. I have a fairly demanding job, plus one of my colleagues will be out on paternity leave so I probably will not be able to hunt the entire 14 day season. This will also be my first mule deer hunt. I have the gear I will need, just not the experience.

I would like to avoid hiring an outfitter as it would appear that options are small and the price is bigly. But I also understand the value of the tag and don't want to waste it due to being out of my depths. I do hunt hard and am a quick learner. Do you guys think I should be okay DIY or would you recommend an outfitter. My goal is to get the most experience I can out of this tag. I obviously would love to tag a trophy but right now I just want to avoid getting skunked. I would also entertain hiring a local guide. If I could find someone local who really knows the unit.

It would appear that there is plenty of public land.

Would the best strategy be to find glassing positions on the elevated flats overlooking ravines with water in the bottom?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Digitata

FNG
Not sure where I broke any etiquette. I wasn't asking for specific locations. I basically asked two broad questions, one which was unit specific and the other general mule deer hunting strategy.

1) would I be better off hiring a guide or outfitter or does this unit lend itself to DIY.
2) is glassing from flat elevations into ravines with water a good general strategy.

Asking if a unit is DIY friendly isn't going to wreck anybodies future. It's a controlled unit. A million people can apply, they are still only giving out x number of tags.

1) would I be better off hiring a guide or outfitter or does this unit lend itself to DIY.
If this is your first mule deer hunt, I would suggest an outfitter. Idaho mule deer hunting can be tough, regardless of the tag and/or unit. Thick country, steep, game isn't found everywhere, and the fact you need to get close due to muzzleloader. Given the limited scouting ability, and limited time during the hunt as you stated, an outfitter would certainly increase (not guarantee of course) opportunity to harvest a deer.
2) is glassing from flat elevations into ravines with water a good general strategy.
Honestly, if you are asking this question, hiring an outfitter (see above) will be the best as you can then learn (quickly) mule deer hunting strategies from your guide, and set yourself up for DIY in the future.

From my experience, most mule deer hunters who are consistently successful don't really share much on forums. A good outfitter will advance your knowledge so much faster vs. anything else. I think it would be well worth the hefty investment.