Unique Turkey Mount/Taxidermy

OneGunTex

FNG
Saw this mount on Instagram and would love to make one God willing this season works out for me.
Anyone know what this style is called or, more importantly, how to make it?
3a23a7aee1cd554017fd5c78022588b4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
It appears to be a take on a cape mount. Looks like you'll have to skin the whole bird and lay the tail/back over the chest skin and arrange the secondary wing feathers.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Looks to me that the entire background of feathers group may have been hand placed and glued - cant see it laying out in that manner if caped with skin? The same with most of the back feathers leading to the tail. Then especially with the wing feathers. I believe someone spent a lot of time plucking, arranging, gluing feathers. That is a cool option though indeed!
I have seen some YouTube vids where regular tail mounts were done by plucking/gluing to keep from having to do any fat/meat removal.
I plucked and arranged the ones on this fall tail mount - used JB weld....the feathers lay way flatter which it appears those in your photo do as well?
PA240550_fall turkey.JPG

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been tempted to try this myself but start to lose patience just doing a regular fan mount. My thought is it’s all plucked and then individually glued. Be sure to post a picture if you give it a go!

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen a few examples like that. I think they look plucked and glued as well. Hoping to give it a try this season, we'll see how it goes.

OP
OneGunTex

OneGunTex

FNG
Yeah I think plucked and glued. I did cut a fan and individually place the feathers once. Used hot glue and bondo. Turned out great.
I guess the way to tackle this one would be to keep most of the groups of feathers attached when you bring it out of the field (ie fan, low fan, breast, wings each in a separate bag) and then once you are at your workbench clip and place. That way the feathers are still in the right order. Tiny dab of glue on each feather tip

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

That looks fantastic. Not sure I would have the patience. I’m finishing up my spring gobbler mount right now. My last two I’ve gone the route of removing the fan, cutting out the meat/fat, drying what’s left in borax, and then using JB Weld to seal it. I think this approach makes a huge difference. I’ve done it to where I’ve plucked and hot glued things back together, and I think cutting the fan off and taking some more time leads to a much more natural looking product with feather placement, etc.

Would definitely love to hear about how you do it if you end up attacking it.

kpk

WKR
Fred Eichler posted a mount like this quite awhile ago on Instagram - and now this spring season they're getting posted everywhere.

I shot one yesterday and will be trying this. From what I've seen/read all of the feathers are plucked individually and glued down. Saw 1 taxidermist saying it takes him 12-16 hours to complete one of these and it starts at $500.

I'm curious if anyone has ideas as to what to use for the "backer" to glue everything to??? I know what one of the local taxidermists here uses hot glue for feathers.

Last edited:

JeffP_Or

WKR
I second the masonite approach. Relative light and temp/humidity stable.

But plywood, MDO or moisture resistant honeycomb board would all be candidates. Foam core might even work but long term adhesion might be an issue with that.