Understanding California Public Turkey Options

I am a travel nurse in California for just this turkey hunting season. I just want to legally get in the woods. I understand I need a license and game bird stamp. My question is how do I know what wildlife areas I can or cannot just hunt any day during the season? For example, when I go to the lake sonoma WA page it does not say there is a special application needed, on the "opening weekend" applications on the CA website, that WA is not one of the available quota hunts, but on the "balance of season" portion, lake sonoma is on there as 4/1-4/2. Does that mean those are the only two days able to hunt that WA at all? Or just for those two days you need a quota permit or what?

If a WA is not on either the "opening weekend" or "balance of season" quota app list, can you hunt it any day during season?
What about national forests? Is that a better option to not have any confusion?

Thanks for any help, I am really not looking for SPOTS, just understanding where I am legally allowed to hunt so I can make a better plan.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
take a look at California DFW webite. Looks like you’ll need to apply, however I believe that’s to hunt the opener. It’s been a minute since I’ve hunted WA in California but I recall something like that. Below is an portion of what I read.

Type C: Lake Sonoma Wildlife Area does not require the purchase of a hunting pass for entry. Entry permits and/or passes or special drawing may be required for hunting on some Type C wildlife areas. Authorized species:

• Deer: Deer hunts are applied for through the License and Revenue Branch. A premium deer tag is required for the Archery A25 Hunt and Junior J1 Hunt.
  • Pig: Pig hunts are now offered by the Corps of Engineers for archery and crossbow hunts.
  • Turkey: Spring and fall wild turkey hunts for adults and juniors are applied for through the CDFW Special Hunts Online Registration System.

OP
T
take a look at California DFW webite. Looks like you’ll need to apply, however I believe that’s to hunt the opener. It’s been a minute since I’ve hunted WA in California but I recall something like that. Below is an portion of what I read.

Type C: Lake Sonoma Wildlife Area does not require the purchase of a hunting pass for entry. Entry permits and/or passes or special drawing may be required for hunting on some Type C wildlife areas. Authorized species:

• Deer: Deer hunts are applied for through the License and Revenue Branch. A premium deer tag is required for the Archery A25 Hunt and Junior J1 Hunt.
  • Pig: Pig hunts are now offered by the Corps of Engineers for archery and crossbow hunts.
  • Turkey: Spring and fall wild turkey hunts for adults and juniors are applied for through the CDFW Special Hunts Online Registration System.
I didn’t see that bottom part about Turkey for that WA. I’m not married to the idea of that WA, it was really just an example I was trying to make sense of so I knew what to look at! Thanks for the help on that. So if it does not have something specific like that then I can hunt the WA any day of the season?

Can you shed any light on the national forests as well?

cmahoney

WKR
NF’s and BLM are good to go, you need to take a semester class to decipher the WA regs. Just like the MPA’s on the coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Looks like most of, if not all of the NF land is further east and/or north where I suspect there is a lot more snow. Does the Turkey hunting in these areas typically tend to start a little later or do you just have to evaluate and stay below the snow line or what?

dtrkyman

WKR
Turkeys tend to follow snow melt up the mountain, hitting the fresh green sprouts. Start looking listening below snow line. With all the snow in cali this year they may be down lower than normal, though I am not sure if the snow is all across the state.

Contact a local Game Warden, get info straight from the source! I often call them prior to hunting a new area.

WA areas are not gonna be your friend for the spring. Most will have applications even the type c and the odds are not good.

Little pockets of BLM of NF where no self respecting hunter would hunt (think in neighborhoods in the lower foothills). They won’t have snow in the lower foothills in early April like they do now.

Or hunt the rivers. Should be able to find some walk in or get a canoe and sell it before you leave. You can hunt the high water mark even if it’s private.

OP
T
WA areas are not gonna be your friend for the spring. Most will have applications even the type c and the odds are not good.

Little pockets of BLM of NF where no self respecting hunter would hunt (think in neighborhoods in the lower foothills). They won’t have snow in the lower foothills in early April like they do now.

Or hunt the rivers. Should be able to find some walk in or get a canoe and sell it before you leave. You can hunt the high water mark even if it’s private.

To understand what you are saying correctly... any portions of NF or BLM I can just walk on to and hunt during season dates? No sign in required, no specific quota permits for those or anything like that?

For example, large portion of BLM around cow mountain, if I wanted to hunt any of that area I can hunt all of that BLM anywhere I want?

To understand what you are saying correctly... any portions of NF or BLM I can just walk on to and hunt during season dates? No sign in required, no specific quota permits for those or anything like that?

For example, large portion of BLM around cow mountain, if I wanted to hunt any of that area I can hunt all of that BLM anywhere I want?
You are correct.

Also, don’t forget the little secret I threw in there. Those small pockets of NF or BLM surrounded by houses can be completely over looked. Onx is your friend.

OP
T
Is there harvest report data per region anywhere? I can’t find it only CA website only draw stats

Taudisio

WKR
You can also chat with some of the wineries or large properties around. It’s awkward to knock on doors at first but the worst thing they can do is say no. Turkeys love grapes but wineries love them more! Go into it with their point of view, explain that they make the rules ie shooting times, areas, stuff like that. You just want to explain the win win situation!

OP
T
You can also chat with some of the wineries or large properties around. It’s awkward to knock on doors at first but the worst thing they can do is say no. Turkeys love grapes but wineries love them more! Go into it with their point of view, explain that they make the rules ie shooting times, areas, stuff like that. You just want to explain the win win situation!
That’s normally what I would do and have done in other states. Unfortunately this time my work proximity to where I’m hunting isn’t as close so I can’t spend a whole day or two doing that, I only have a day or two total. I appreciate that advice, always has worked in the past

JD Jones

WKR
When I was stationed in Southern California, knocking on doors actually worked. I hunted an old man’s Apple Orchard for a time. He was a great guy and on occasion ask me in and we would just chat. Nice guy.