Uncommon elk hunting strategy

Josh Gray

FNG
I’m curious how many of you have found success just pulling off a main road or hwy and dropping or climbing straight in to an area. I’ve actually only hunted 1 or 2x out of a main trailhead or even trail systems and have found most sign and success just 1-3 miles away from these places. My last bull I killed I could clearly hear semi’s using their engine brakes while cutting him up. My theory is the elk actually feel safer closer to the sound of traffic when there isn’t any non-hunting recreation. Maybe potentially less 4 and 2 legged predators?

Driving to hunt bear last month nearly every license plate we saw at trailheads or cruising forest service roads were out of state, while every truck we saw parked right off the highway had resident plates. I think a lot of east coasters are looking for a wilderness experience and maybe just don’t like the idea of hearing traffic at night?

Poser

WKR
Yes, but on the years that the 4 Corners Motorcycle Rally align with opening weekend, the highway noise is overwhelming even 2+ miles from the road.