Ultraview Hinge 2 first thoughts?

sgholmes

FNG
What do ya'll think about the new Ultraview Hinge 2 release? I'm toying with ordering one since I've fallen in love with their regular UV hinge, but hated how noisy the head was when using it for hunting (used a small rubber band as a retention). Looks like they've addressed that though with the head being magnetic...kind of hard to justify another $250...but do need a back up release...errr...thoughts??

What do ya'll think about the new Ultraview Hinge 2 release? I'm toying with ordering one since I've fallen in love with their regular UV hinge, but hated how noisy the head was when using it for hunting (used a small rubber band as a retention). Looks like they've addressed that though with the head being magnetic...kind of hard to justify another $250...but do need a back up release...errr...thoughts??
I love the Ultraview hinge. Super comfortable and very crisp release. I hated the noise for hunting as well. I use an o-ring for the head retention. I wanted to buy the hinge 2 and almost did so this morning, but my better judgment prevailed. Would it be nice to have the features on the hinge 2? Sure. Is it that much better to drop $300 on it as I prefer the weight of stainless? Probably not.

If I had the extra scratch laying around, I would have ordered one for sure, haha.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wayoh22

WKR
I've come to love my UV hinge as well. I'm just not sold on the new one. The magnet is nice but as stated above, an o-ring works just fine. I think it's more of a "luxury" upgrade than anything. Yeah you can adjust the click and travel without having to swap out moons but that never bothered me to begin with.

Zac

WKR
I'm in the same boat I have 2 models of the original. I actually haven't had to change anything on my primary because I shoot pretty cold. I do have my eye on the Executive from Truball. That adjustable head might actually be a game changer.

OP
sgholmes

sgholmes

FNG
Sounds like I'm not too far off on my thoughts. I might just sit back and wait to hear more reviews or watch the classified section.

Deer777

FNG
I almost ordered one too but thankfully they sold out of the one I wanted before I made my mind up. I like the first hinge quite a bit and use an O-ring to accomplish same thing magnet does. Will probably try one at some point but will wait for reviews for now.

Ugh, I'm in the market for a hinge release (and probably another thumb release too). So many great options out there, makes it hard. I wish we had one option and it was take it or leave it :)

wapitibob

WKR
I've had both the carter 2 moons and still have the scott ascent (2 moons). Both have been a pain in the ass to set. The ultraview appears to have some common sense in the design and should work just fine. Way better than having a release with nothing faster than .014 click.

bonehed67

FNG
I waited for over a year for Stan to come out with their new hinge only to be underwhelmed. Ordered a UV H2 and a 2 finger bracket yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Ya, the new Stan hinge just underwhelms compared to the Morex line-up.
I did get to handle a stainless UV2 yesterday and liked it. Not sure it will replace my Scott Ascent though...$299 is a hefty tag...

Marble

WKR
I have two tru balls. An HBC and a GOAT. Neither use rubber bands or magnets.

For the HBC, you can find them on Ebay sometimes. Only one moon needed, easy adjustments.

I use THE GOAT for hunting but may look into a button that clips on to my D loop.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Holocene

WKR
Looks comparable to the $200 Scott Ascent, but with some added values like the various hunting hand grips, etc. that’s cool.

The Scott Ascent is a little fussy to set up, but worth it to dial in the exact shot sequence and feel you like.

A guy named Padgett on Archerytalk.com has a long, detailed article on the process for setting one up, which helped me a lot.

Reactions: ZDR

bigbuckdj

WKR
i never ordered an OG hinge because of the rattle and having to buy all the different clicks. I guess I am out of excuses. I can never decide between aluminum and brass(or stainless). Im thinking Ill go stainless with an aluminum hunting bracket.

For me, my shot process is very picky/short. I had trouble even with the shortest click on my original UV hinge. Ended up going to a thumb release and that solved my shot timing well. I was looking to get a hinge again but I did not want to just jump in on the new Stan hinge because now my perfex may not fit exactly with the new hinge. I loved my UV but the shot timing was too long for me. I am toying with the idea of buying one of these as I think the design does look like something that would be excellent in the hunting space as well. Shot lots of animals with a hinge so I have no problem going to one again.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I got mine in today, it was beautiful. Of course i dropped it on the concrete within 5 minutes of opening the package so it already has some character. It took me probably 20 shots to get it set, once you get in the right zone, i found it to be very sensitive with the adjustments. If you get the click to close to the fire it just goes no click.
Its very comfortable in my hand, i never had the original hinge so this was nice for me. it breaks very cleanly, more time will be needed with it to see if its the greatest release ever, so far im pleased with it. I got the S/S with aluminum 3 finger bracket.

JoeBo

FNG
For those that have the new UV2...did you find any issues with the head of the release being significantly longer than say, a nock2it? I ordered the "try before you buy" 3D plastic UV2 and while it feels great in the hand, my anchor point feels as if it is waaay further back. Have folks had to shorten their DL to get to the same anchor point?

bigbuckdj

WKR
Yeah the neck is really long, the sx3 is the only thumb I’ve seen that looks like it may match, I don’t have one so I can’t confirm, it’s definitely longer than a perfex and chocolate addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sgholmes

sgholmes

FNG
Fellas, I ended up buying a used UV Hinge 2 for a bit of a discount. It should be here any day now. Will give an update after I get a few reps in with it. I will compare it to the original UV Hinge. More to come!

Just got my Alum with 3 finger steel bracket today. Weight balance is perfect with that setup. So far I like it better than my Ascent. Really quick to set up and start firing with. The only advantage the scott has is the small band that closes the hook for you. But thats just something to break so its not a big deal to me.