Ultralight Tripod Options

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
For lightweight tripods I genuinely dislike carbon fiber - they're expensive, and more importantly, require screw-adjustments on the leg sections rather than flip locks.

Do yourself a favor and keep an eye out for older SLIK aluminum models. Either the Slik 500G-7 or 500G-FL. I picked both of mine up off ebay for less than $30 brand new (though I wouldn't be opposed to used).

They're easier to use and mostly lighter than the various carbon options out there.

The lighter 500G-7 packs at 15-7/8" long while the 500G-FL packs at 18-1/4" long.

With any lightweight setup it pays to have a stuff-sack and cord setup to weight it at the center with rocks.

Just briefly perusing ebay before posting this, here's a 500G-FL for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304769574738

0.jpg

IMG_8050.jpeg

I ordered an AT-125 with the AT-10 head and was initially very impressed. Unfortunately, the legs are coming out completely different depending on the leg. i.e. smallest segment to largest segment on one, middle segment to largest segment to smallest segment on the other, and finally perfectly largest-to-smallest on the final leg. It does the same when only going one click/segment. Has this been happening to anyone else?

I’m exchanging for another and hoping I just got a lemon.

ETA: One of the legs will not let release the final segment of the leg either. Hoping for an improvement on the next go round - otherwise it’ll be a tricer.
I’m running into the exact same issues with the replacement tripod as well.

For those who own one, are you experiencing the same issues or am I the problem here?

alexnelon

FNG

For those who own one, are you experiencing the same issues or am I the problem here?
The design pretty much requires that you twist to unlock all 5 sections, pull them all out, then just lock the ones you want to stay out. I’ve had zero issues with mine, but I always unlock all the legs at once and just know that I can’t pick which leg comes out first.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have any of you spent time behind both the Tricer and Aziak tripods? I can't decide between the back country light or the tricer AD.

I don't currently stand to glass but the ability with the tricer is intriguing.
Overall I just like the looks of thebAziak more.
Rydell is a great guy and he makes great products at Aziak.

I haven't had any issues with mine that you've experienced but I also haven't used it but 3 or 4 days total so time will tell. I try my best to make sure it's not getting a bunch of grit in the legs by laying it down in dirt or sand as well as making sure the internal twist locks are fully unlocked before pulling the leg sections. If its anything like my other Sirui tripods, I would be surprised if it doesn't hold up

The design pretty much requires that you twist to unlock all 5 sections, pull them all out, then just lock the ones you want to stay out. I’ve had zero issues with mine, but I always unlock all the legs at once and just know that I can’t pick which leg comes out first.
I’m not understanding you here. As far as I understand, it’s designed to give you one leg per click?

alexnelon

FNG
I’m not understanding you here. As far as I understand, it’s designed to give you one leg per click?
It has 5 leg sections that each have an internal friction lock, but in the collapsed position you can only physically twist the bottom section.

This means that the force you apply to the bottom section is (more or less evenly) distributed amongst all the sections at once, unlocking each section independently as you reach the amount of force required to overcome the friction lock for each one.

But since they are all being twisted at the same time, there is no way to control the order in which each section is locked/unlocked because the mechanism (friction) that locks/unlocks each leg also transfers torque to the leg above it.

Basically, since you’re only ever twisting the bottom leg, there’s no way to control which leg gets unlocked first. So just unlock them all from the jump.