Ultralight Custom Bolt Builds

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 615212
I managed to stuff a 22” proof prefit into a manners UC mated up to a defiance ruckus that’s hunter cut. Hawkins hunter mag, arc m-10 rings and a kahles 6-24. Whole thing finished out at exactly 9lbs and is stupid accurate.
How do you like the UC? I’ve been wanting to handle one but haven’t seen one around here yet…

axeforce6

WKR

I have one of these on a 308 I put together. I really like this stock. Super lightweight and rigid.

Lemhi

FNG
How do you like the UC? I’ve been wanting to handle one but haven’t seen one around here yet…
I love it, I’ve got several of them now. One on a 5lb 6mm creed and this one is a 7PRC. Handles like a traditional wood stock, nice and thin with grippy checkering. If you are a dedicated prone/tripod shooter it would not be my first choice but neither of them have bothered me for casual steel banging at distance either. They do have a great thumb shelf for not wrapping the stock which helps a bunch.

z987k

WKR
Howdy

New guy here. I need some help with a custom rifle build! I’ve never dabbled in building a bolt gun and would like some input from the experts!

I’ll be building a 6.5 PRC for my wife and 7 PRC for myself. We will be backpacking and in the backcountry so weight is really important. Some of the areas may offer longer range shots so if an ethical opportunity presents itself, we want the gun to be able to handle that.

This is what I have so far:
Action- Lone Peak Razor Ti (maybe Fuzion Ti but it is a little heavier)
Zermatt Ti3-
Anyone compared the 2 of these??

Barrell: Proof Research prefit 22 carbon

Stock: this is where I need a lot of help.
Manners EH-1 carbon
McMillan A3 carbon
AG Carbon K2
Gunwerks Clymr or magnus but It looks like there is a back order and they aren’t taking orders right now..

Suppressor: also need help narrowing down!
7PRC: TBAC 5 or 7
6.5 PRC maybe the Gunwerks 6ix + Ti
Or other Titanium options that aren’t longer than 7 in

Bottom metal and Rings
Hawkins Precision

Optic:
I’ve enjoyed vortex razors in the past but am open to lighter options out there!

Thank y’all. I really appreciate any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Literally nothing about that says ultralight. On the lighter side, where a stock tikka would give it a run for it's money, yes.

Those Titanium actions are too heavy to bother with titanium. Might as well get an Anti. Even a Kimber steel action is lighter. If you really want titanium for the weight savings, the only thing lighter than an Anti or a Kimber is the Pierce shadow Ti.

Carbon barrels are heavier than appropriately profiled steel barrels. They have absolutely no place on a lightweight build, let alone ultralight. Look at the various barrel manufacturer's featherweight or #1 profiles. Douglas featherweight contour being what I'd recommend if weight is the concern. Have them bring the end up to 5/8x24 threads.

For the stock, I'd really recommend the peak44. Or something from MPI or Oregon gunsmithing.

I think it's been said, but no a person here would recommend anything from vortex. Really depends on what you're doing with the rifle for the features you need. I'd look at something from Trijicon. The credo line is good but not terribly heavy. If a 3-9 works for your purposes they have some real light stuff in that size.

Suppressor - TBAC, AB raptor, Sico Scythe-Ti, Rugger 360 Ti.

madcalfe

WKR
Carbon barrels are heavier than appropriately profiled steel barrels. They have absolutely no place on a lightweight build, let alone ultralight.
Paradigm carbon ultralight barrels coming in at 1.75lbs in a 20" 6.5ss barrel so would be lighter yet going up to a .284 or .30cal. although it only has 1/2"-28 threading

its not hard to get into the low 5lbs with a carbon barrel. my 300wsm is 5lbs 2oz with a 20" proof Sendero.

z987k

WKR
Paradigm carbon ultralight barrels coming in at 1.75lbs in a 20" 6.5ss barrel so would be lighter yet going up to a .284 or .30cal. although it only has 1/2"-28 threading

its not hard to get into the low 5lbs with a carbon barrel. my 300wsm is 5lbs 2oz with a 20" proof Sendero.
You have a link to them claiming that? All I see is 3lb sendero profiles. Steel featherweights come in right at 2.0-2.25 for 24-26" barrels.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I love it, I’ve got several of them now. One on a 5lb 6mm creed and this one is a 7PRC. Handles like a traditional wood stock, nice and thin with grippy checkering. If you are a dedicated prone/tripod shooter it would not be my first choice but neither of them have bothered me for casual steel banging at distance either. They do have a great thumb shelf for not wrapping the stock which helps a bunch.
Thanks. I guess I ought to put one on order because I don’t think anyone I’ll ever see one around here.

I have a 700 .243 with about 2500 rounds down the factory barrel, still shooting fine but it’s a good excuse to rebuild. Was thinking Rem mag-ish or Bart 2b in a UC would work out about right.

My 3 favorite stocks are Kimber 8400, MCMillan Classic and McM Rem Mtn Rifle. I have no issues shooting prone with any, and since I’m so used to that style stock I don’t think the UC would be uncomfortable.

Thanks again

khuber84

WKR
What's your desired range to be confident in to engage game? This is the real question. I had a 20" sendero lite, razor ti, McMillan edge stock, hawkins bdl, it was 5.75#, with a vx5 and talleys think it tripped scales right at 7.6#. Rifle shot very well from prone and bench, however once you got into field conditions, it wasn't nearly as consistent. Even when lightly loading the bipod in prone, 10-15mph gust and crosswinds were moving the rifle around enough that I was not really confident past 400y, calm conditions further of course. Why sacrifice shootability during inopportune moments because you're trying to save 1-2# on your rifle? There are less detrimental places to cut that weight. 95% of us(me included) it could be easily trimmed off or waist line.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Thanks. I guess I ought to put one on order because I don’t think anyone I’ll ever see one around here.

I have a 700 .243 with about 2500 rounds down the factory barrel, still shooting fine but it’s a good excuse to rebuild. Was thinking Rem mag-ish or Bart 2b in a UC would work out about right.

My 3 favorite stocks are Kimber 8400, MCMillan Classic and McM Rem Mtn Rifle. I have no issues shooting prone with any, and since I’m so used to that style stock I don’t think the UC would be uncomfortable.

Thanks again
I think you'd be good with the ultra classic plus. Here's my 6.5 PRC built on an anTi, UC plus, Bartlein 20" CFW #4, Hawkins M5 hunter and hunter mag.

IMG_4147.jpegIMG_4146.jpeg

OP
C
Literally nothing about that says ultralight. On the lighter side, where a stock tikka would give it a run for it's money, yes.

Those Titanium actions are too heavy to bother with titanium. Might as well get an Anti. Even a Kimber steel action is lighter. If you really want titanium for the weight savings, the only thing lighter than an Anti or a Kimber is the Pierce shadow Ti.

Carbon barrels are heavier than appropriately profiled steel barrels. They have absolutely no place on a lightweight build, let alone ultralight. Look at the various barrel manufacturer's featherweight or #1 profiles. Douglas featherweight contour being what I'd recommend if weight is the concern. Have them bring the end up to 5/8x24 threads.

For the stock, I'd really recommend the peak44. Or something from MPI or Oregon gunsmithing.

I think it's been said, but no a person here would recommend anything from vortex. Really depends on what you're doing with the rifle for the features you need. I'd look at something from Trijicon. The credo line is good but not terribly heavy. If a 3-9 works for your purposes they have some real light stuff in that size.

Suppressor - TBAC, AB raptor, Sico Scythe-Ti, Rugger 360 Ti.

Wow, thank you. I will definitely look into this. This is why I ask y’all! It can be tough to find specific info on this and sift through the crap on YouTube or the variety of hunting shows.

OP
C
What's your desired range to be confident in to engage game? This is the real question. I had a 20" sendero lite, razor ti, McMillan edge stock, hawkins bdl, it was 5.75#, with a vx5 and talleys think it tripped scales right at 7.6#. Rifle shot very well from prone and bench, however once you got into field conditions, it wasn't nearly as consistent. Even when lightly loading the bipod in prone, 10-15mph gust and crosswinds were moving the rifle around enough that I was not really confident past 400y, calm conditions further of course. Why sacrifice shootability during inopportune moments because you're trying to save 1-2# on your rifle? There are less detrimental places to cut that weight. 95% of us(me included) it could be easily trimmed off or waist line.

I don’t want to push any further than 500. And that would only be ideal situations. But that is some really helpful insight. What would you do differently to be more confident in field conditions??? My wife and I are pretty active but also training for these types of hunts too.
Plus I kinda see it as a game to make the gun as light as possible. But I don’t want to sacrifice the actual purpose of this whole thing and not be able to pull of a quick shot in difficult conditions.

Thank you though, this has been really helpful!

khuber84

WKR
I don’t want to push any further than 500. And that would only be ideal situations. But that is some really helpful insight. What would you do differently to be more confident in field conditions??? My wife and I are pretty active but also training for these types of hunts too.
Plus I kinda see it as a game to make the gun as light as possible. But I don’t want to sacrifice the actual purpose of this whole thing and not be able to pull of a quick shot in difficult conditions.

Thank you though, this has been really helpful!
A rifle that can be run with repeatable precision in the field is forgiving, also being operated by a shooter thats aware of natural point of aim, with the least amount of muscle input in the shooting position. Forgiving means 9# minimum in my opinion, a good rear bag that can double as a front bag off or rocks or a stump, large tree limb, tailgate, hood of truck, whatever. Light rifles, especially in larger capacity chambering, have increasing levels of recoil that requires the shooter to have very high proficiency in fundamentals and position building to mange recoil and keep the rifle tracking under recoil. Practice deploying the system and acquiring natural poa with no muscle involved that means no torque in your bipod, as the weapon is put down straight to target. Keep you body square yo your rifle any time shooting supported, off hand whatever is comfortable and consistent for you. Lower recoil cartridges are always easier to shoot.

This season I'm running a 6cm with a carbon proof, zermatt Ti3, in a Mesa altitude. Bout 6.5#. But add the supressor and glass and bipod, I'm at 10.5#. This rifle is very shootable out to 800y prone, seated/kneeling of obstacles or a Tripod. I can regularly successfully engage 1.5 moa targets out to 600y shooting standing off the tripod. I have practiced all this a lot, shoot matches where these types of shots are the norm and under time stress, that's the best teacher there is.

I have the ability to swap to a light scope, titanium brake and carbon bipod and get the system down 9.2# however I'm more consistent with the extra weight.

I've been tempted to build something on the very light side again, it'd prob be a 6bra on a howa mini with a 20" #2 barrel with 5/8x24 muzzle ability. Put it in a stockys vg2 and run 95tmk at 2900+ suppressed. Guys have built these around 5.3# before glass.

wildcat33

WKR
Seekins element is almost everything you are trying to build at much lower cost. Plus if you decide to sell you’ll get most of your money back.

z987k

WKR
Seekins element is almost everything you are trying to build at much lower cost. Plus if you decide to sell you’ll get most of your money back.
I still wouldn't call a 5.5lb bare gun ultralight. A factory kimber weighs and costs less.