Ultralight 223

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
What options are out there for really lightweight 223 guns? I see sub 5 lb guns out there in bigger cartridges (Kimber Adirondack and Mountain Ascent for example), but I'm not seeing rifles like that chambered in 223. I would think that a really light rifle would pair great with the low recoil of 223 and have been confused to not see more options out there. Am I just missing what's out there on the market?

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen the remington model 7 hs precision at 6.1, most other "light" rifles right around 6.5. The Tikka T3X lite and superlite are both 6.6 lbs, and considerably less money than something like the x-bolt tungsten. The Howa mini action is a less expensive mag fed option at right around 6 pounds. The slick feeding tikka would probably be my choice, but I have heard the howa is very accurate.

EastMT

WKR
I’m in the process of building one now. There’s not really a huge market for the 223 as nobody is carrying them on a sheep hunt, but I like a nice easy to handle Varmint gun.

If you want a sub 5 lb, you will need the rifle of choice, an MPI 10oz Micro lite stock, Light rings, skeleton bolt/action/guard. 2-7 scope, likely a custom barrel in the 18” area is that ends around .5” at the muzzle.

I’m not aiming this low on a 223, but 6 all in on an ADL, B&C light Varmint stock, 2-7, be around 6 lbs, less than half price of above plan for a few extra ounces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coues32

WKR
I m back at looking for the same, few years back was diving in, pretty sure the Howa stock was pretty heavy. Just found elf owl chasis that seems light and not too expensive.
Will be topped with a SWFA UL

c670809

FNG
Would you mind weighing your Savage? I bought the older version for my daughter and it's a full half pound heavier than advertised. I've been thinking of the new one for me but was wondering about the weight...

Thanks,
Matt

22lr

WKR
Honestly, ARs are some of the lighter options out there. Battle Arms Development is making a 3.8lb one... while super expensive, its a fun look at how lightweight ARs have become. 5lbs would be pretty easy to build.

Not sure if ARs are your cup of tea, but they sure make super light handy guns.

EastMT

WKR
Honestly, ARs are some of the lighter options out there. Battle Arms Development is making a 3.8lb one... while super expensive, its a fun look at how lightweight ARs have become. 5lbs would be pretty easy to build.

Not sure if ARs are your cup of tea, but they sure make super light handy guns.

Yup, that’s the problem. I have AR’s, but just don’t like them. A sleek bolt gun is just handier IMO. A model 7 would be a sweet setup if you put a super light stock on it, but the twist is 1/12 or 1/10 so I’d have to put another barrel on it too. I’m thinking I just buy an action and put one together myself so I get what I want, 1/8 16-18”, taper to .50” at the muzzle. Should be in the 5lb range.

22lr

WKR
Yup, that’s the problem. I have AR’s, but just don’t like them. A sleek bolt gun is just handier IMO. A model 7 would be a sweet setup if you put a super light stock on it, but the twist is 1/12 or 1/10 so I’d have to put another barrel on it too. I’m thinking I just buy an action and put one together myself so I get what I want, 1/8 16-18”, taper to .50” at the muzzle. Should be in the 5lb range.

Fair enough, ARs are not everyones cup of tea for sure. Ya building it to spec based on how you want it is the way to go. The 223 is the perfect caliper for going UL. You can make some dramatic weight savings without all the recoil punishment.

Carlin59

WKR
I’ve been thinking about a lightweight .223 as well. A 18-20” break-action single shot with a minimal stock would be fun for general carry when kicking around. Not seeing a lot that fit the description on the market but looks like it can be achieved with some mods.

Lawnboi

WKR
If your willing to build and spend some money your options really open up.

If you want stock you can get close with a tikka in a light stock. The tikka magazine system is pretty smooth in 223 along with option of longer mags for loading heavy/long bullets.

KU_Geo

WKR
Agree with the above, a used kimber in 223 is probably the best option as they are very light and it won’t cost bearly as much as a NULA.

Would you mind weighing your Savage? I bought the older version for my daughter and it's a full half pound heavier than advertised. I've been thinking of the new one for me but was wondering about the weight...

Thanks,
Matt

It is 6 pounds 11 ounces with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 and Talley lightweights.

My Kimber Montana .223 is stock with a VX3 2.5-8 x 36 with the B&C reticule in Talley low lightweight mounts. 22” 1 in 9 factory barrel. I really like it for a calling rifle. Shoots 70 gr Berger VLD and 55 grain Barnes TTSX very well...lots of 3 shot 1/2” groups at 100 meters from the bench. Excellent adjustable trigger, stock fits me well, etc. Bare rifle weighs 5#6oz on my scale and a shade over 6#s with scope and mounts.

OP
M

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the process of building one now. There’s not really a huge market for the 223 as nobody is carrying them on a sheep hunt, but I like a nice easy to handle Varmint gun.

If you want a sub 5 lb, you will need the rifle of choice, an MPI 10oz Micro lite stock, Light rings, skeleton bolt/action/guard. 2-7 scope, likely a custom barrel in the 18” area is that ends around .5” at the muzzle.

I’m not aiming this low on a 223, but 6 all in on an ADL, B&C light Varmint stock, 2-7, be around 6 lbs, less than half price of above plan for a few extra ounces

Thanks for that direction. Probably should have specified that sub 5lb was referring to a bare rifle, right around 6lb all up would be fantastic.