Ultra light hunting rifles

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 4 lb 15 oz scoped Kimber in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m not an experienced long range shooter, but I really like it. I definitely find spotting my shots much harder than with a heavier rifle, but that seems to be the only drawback so far, and for a 400-500 and under gun, I’m not worried about it.

I think ergonomics play a big part in shooting lightweight rifles well. I built a custom stock that fits me like a glove, and it shoots as well as any of my guns. The thin barrel heating up has not been an issue, as proven by many members on here. It shoots a 1.5” 10-shot group with no waiting to the barrel to cool.

For over 500 yards, absolutely, heavier rifles are noticeably better. But for shorter ranges, I’ve not found any significant drawbacks and carrying a 5lb gun all day is super nice.

5EC879F9-6CB2-4A86-9586-886CC2DF31C5.jpeg

I don’t mind staying with a short action 30 caliber. I was just considering the 30-06 for bigger selection of bullet weights and a bit more FPS. I would estimate the rifle will be used for 400yds and in. Say shooting a 165gn bullet in both the 308 and the 30-06 in a 7# overall weight rifle, do you think the recoil would be that much less if shooting 308?

Yes should be sizeable difference. You can run the data through a recoil calculator. Looks like approx +-15 grains of powder and 100-200 fps difference.

Have you consider the 6.5 manbun creedmoor? For its recoil, ammo selection, wind deflection, etc it's pretty hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes should be sizeable difference. You can run the data through a recoil calculator. Looks like approx +-15 grains of powder and 100-200 fps difference.

Have you consider the 6.5 manbun creedmoor? For its recoil, ammo selection, wind deflection, etc it's pretty hard to beat.

I have not looked into 6.5 Creedmoor. I was trying to stay in the realm of cartridges I already reload for. Another cartridge, that I also do not reload for, I hear good thing about is the 7mm-08, but again, was hoping to stay 30 cal.

Has the 308 lost favor when it comes to hunting with possible shots at up to 400yds?

I shoot steel and paper at 600yds with my current 308. I don’t load for speed, I load what shoots well in my rifle, but I’m doping about 17+ MOA (depending on weather) from a 100yrd zero. I could see where one would shy away from longer shots.

ElPollo

WKR
1) Let's not address the relative value of lightness in a rifle, I'll assume you understand the shootability trade-offs you'll be making, and feel the juice is worth the squeeze. These trade-offs come not only in the form of increased recoil but also in reduction of features (vertical grip, negative comb, flat toe, etc) which accrue to performance. I'll also assume you understand the importance of shooting smaller cartridges in such ultralight rifles.
This is a really good point. People seem to start off thinking about recoil, but the ultralight stocks also tend to have much poorer ergonomics which also negatively impact shootability across all calibers.

Reactions: NSI
I have not looked into 6.5 Creedmoor. I was trying to stay in the realm of cartridges I already reload for. Another cartridge, that I also do not reload for, I hear good thing about is the 7mm-08, but again, was hoping to stay 30 cal.

Has the 308 lost favor when it comes to hunting with possible shots at up to 400yds?

I shoot steel and paper at 600yds with my current 308. I don’t load for speed, I load what shoots well in my rifle, but I’m doping about 17+ MOA (depending on weather) from a 100yrd zero. I could see where one would shy away from longer shots.

With range finders and dial scopes (or even BDC reticles) the extra drop of a 308 isn’t of much concern. I ran a quick ballistic calculation based off 1000’ elevation, slow 308 drops 35”, fast 3006 drops 27”. So best case the 06 saves you 7” of drop.

Reactions: NSI
With range finders and dial scopes (or even BDC reticles) the extra drop of a 308 isn’t of much concern. I ran a quick ballistic calculation based off 1000’ elevation, slow 308 drops 35”, fast 3006 drops 27”. So best case the 06 saves you 7” of drop.

I could live with that. I’m sure I’m being stubborn about not wanting another cartridge, but with components made of unobtainium in the past few years I cringe of the idea of trying to source them. Especially during testing and development.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
I could live with that. I’m sure I’m being stubborn about not wanting another cartridge, but with components made of unobtainium in the past few years I cringe of the idea of trying to source them. Especially during testing and development.
Having a 7 pound 280ai Kimber, a 6 pound 7mm08, and a braked 5 pound 6.5creedmoor and having had a suppressed 6.5 pound 308 I will tell you now that this is not a great idea. Dies are cheap, bullets get shot, and the difference in performance ballistically is so slight in the ranges most should be shooting go with something small. Also the smaller cases get a tonne more reloads when you can find powder meaning those 1 pound jugs go alot further.

My 280 has similar case capacity and it's absolutely unpleasant without a brake and mildly unpleasant with just a suppressor. It does hurt it just moves quickly. It was bad enough I had to fix a flinch that was effecting me using other rifles.

The 308 was fine but you had to be serious behind the rifle perfectly to maintain go accuracy same goes for the 7mm08.
The 6.5 is the only one that can be shot from any position well but the brake is unpleasant to say the least.

I'm all for the carrying part of light rifles and every hunt here in NZ starts with a 2000 foot climb just to get to hunting ground but I had the 308 first and have promptly stepped down in chamberings and finished at the 6.5 Creed but braked it.

Since you going custom I would personally go 22 creed if it's legal in you state if not go 6mm creed.