Ultimate tool for the lightweight arsenal!

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Nice avatar pic, CW! Tell everyone what happened seconds after it was taken...

Scott

sab

Lil-Rokslider
hflier:

CW made a blaze orange panel to attach to a KU Grab It with velcro, and I must say he did a very nice job of it!

Scott

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a close up of his work:

CWsGrabIt.jpg

Scott

@hflier- sab is correct (he also commented on it during our hunt)...I kinda borrowed the idea from the Kifaru hunting packs that use the fleece panels. I wanted an orange panel for my pack, but I also wanted the KU grab-it over the hunting version because the KU has buckles to disconnect. So, I manufactured my own by taking a KU grab-it, strategically sewing some velcro on it, followed by a fabricated fleece panel cut-to-size. I'll post some pics in a bit.

A disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for this...I came up with the design, and crafted the template for the fleece. MY WIFE cut the fleece, sewed on the bias tape, and attached the velcro to both the grab-it & the panel. I had very little to do with actual construction.

The panel worked exactly as intended. It was very lightweight, and it never moved the entire week. As sab can attest, we went through some seriously thick brush. The same goes for my KU 3700, no holes/tears, it only got dirty. There were absolutely no problems with the fabric strength what-so-ever! People also worry about the noise, I can tell you that's not a problem either. Like I stated before, this pack exceeded my expectations! sab had a KU 5200 and he had similar results.

Oh, I forgot (sab mentioned this) literally minutes after I snapped my avatar pic, I was up close and personal with a HUUUUUUGE mature grizzly. It was awesome!!!

sab

Lil-Rokslider
The same goes for my KU 3700, no holes/tears, it only got dirty. There were absolutely no problems with the fabric strength what-so-ever! People also worry about the noise, I can tell you that's not a problem either. Like I stated before, this pack exceeded my expectations! sab had a KU 5200 and he had similar results.

I agree. Any worries about KU durability or noise that I had going into this hunting season were allayed after that trip!

Scott

Yes, I'm reviving this thread.

After carrying my KU 3700 religiously this whole season, I can honestly say...

I LOVE IT!!!

But not without some wishful thinking?

#1 I wish it had a bottom zipper for access when it's full.

#2 I wish it had a row of pals (similar to the Timberline/Legacy packs) on the sides, or tabs (similar to the High Camp) to hang pouches from. I think tabs would be ideal to save on weight?

#3 I wish it would attach to a Duplex/Bikini duplex frame as a bag (sans belt, straps & stays).

#4 I wish it had a longer carry loop.

Why mess with it you ask?

I found myself constantly grousing every time I had to "dig" something out of the bottom.

Also, I have not found a good way to hang anything to the current bottom pocket holder.

A buddy of mine has a G2 Duplex hauler, and after some testing... We could not make it work well at all. It definitely was not a good idea?

When picking it up with moderate loads, the carry loop is just too short.

Other then that, it is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned! Even with my "wishes" I will not trade it for anything... The weight, comfort & durability trump my perceived shortcomings in the pack. After a full season, the pack is dirty. That's it. Durability has not been an issue for me. I hope Patrick and Aron continue to improve the KU's right along with the Legacy packs and the addition of the High Camp/Bikini duplex combo.

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
#1 I wish it had a bottom zipper for access when it's full.

I found myself constantly grousing every time I had to "dig" something out of the bottom.

I have gotten quite a bit more deliberate about loading my pack (KU5200) for this reason. I usually stuff the bottom third of my pack with food (usually freeze dried entrees) as I don't need them during the day, and they elevate the heavier gear closer to my body.

I also used a couple of long pockets and a possibilities pouch loose inside the main pack bag to keep things sorted out, and so the small stuff i need to access doesn't fall to the bottom of my pack and become "lost" in that big bag. Minimal extra weight, and if I really need the full space in the main bag they clip onto the outside and add CU.