Ulanzi I 190

Bmac87

FNG
Has anyone used this ulanzi u-190 l for a 85mm spotting scope? I'm looking for a fluid head that I can use with my vortex razor and somehow easily switch back and forth to a window mount. I've also seen small rig 3259 discussed but read that they don't function well in the cold. Any recommendations or insight would be much appreciated. I don't need the best I just need something that works. Thanks.

sr80

WKR
Im a big fan of these cheaper fluid heads, ive been testing this one a bit since early spring and its pretty damn smooth. I only use a 65mm swaro but its handles that totally fine. Maybe someone else can chime in about the 85mm, but im sure it would handle it. Build quality is really good from what i can see. I even removed the handle and put a carbon fibre one in.

Brusso89

FNG
I posted a thread last week about the Tricer LP vs the MTN HNTR head. I learned from the replies that the MTN HTNR head as just a rebranded Smallrig 3259 head. I ordered a smallrig 3259, smallrig 4170 (due to the metal knobs vs the plastic knobs on the 3259) and a ulanzi 190 due to metal knobs and because of how the handle can be switched in any configuration. Well, both smallrigs are being returned and I’m keeping the ulanzi. The knobs on the ulanzi are way bigger (easier to use with gloves on), the adjustment of the handle is awesome/better then the smallrig‘s and the way the head attaches to the Arca plate is more sturdy/has more contact with the plate. I’ve been running a manfrotto befree (mvh400ah) the past 3 years. It’s nice and durable. My only issue is the way the handle attaches. Even all the way tightened and after adding an oring in it, there’s play and it’s noticeable when glassing. The ulanzi has zero play as of now, it’s lighter than the manfrotto, about a third of the price as the manfrotto and it’s Arca Swiss. Time will tell about the durability.

twall13

WKR
I picked up an Ulanzi U-190 late last year and have been playing around with it. So far I absolutely love it with my Kowa 883. I don't know if it will loosen up over time but it's actually fairly stiff and I personally think works better with heavier optics than say my binoculars because of that. It's not bad with lighter optics, I just think it's surprisingly good with heavier optics. Mine is buttery smooth with the 883.

Being so cheap I have some concerns about long-term durability, etc. I've also read about the issues with the Smallrig freezing up and something like that could very well happen with the Ulanzi as I haven't tested it out long enough or in varied enough conditions to know. So far I've just played around with it at home and taken it on one short bear hunt but I've been very happy with it. For the price I like it way better than the Slik SVH-501 video head I have. It's smoother, more precise, and weighs less.

I don't know of anyone else that owns the Ulanzi so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some lemons out there based on the price point and I just got lucky with mine. So far mine has been great. For the price I'm tempted to pick up another as a backup. Let me know if you have any specific questions on it and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
I find the ulanzi to be a tad more finicky than the small rig as far as getting the perfect tension to be able to tilt and pan, and holding my binos/spotter when I stop. But overall it’s better quality than the small rig. I didn’t have any issues with the small rig freezing last Nov, it was a bit harder to move but still worked. Unlanzi is 3 oz heavier with my mods I’ve done to both. But for the price, I like both better than the outdoorsmans pan head.

redpep

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched to the Ulanzi, I am running a Vortex Razor 65 Gen 1 spotting scope, no issues with the Ulanzi. Compared to the Smallrig the Ulanzi is just enough beefier in build and the Swiss arca clamping to get my thumbs up!
I have the azak bino asapter on my swarovski slc's and on my kowa binoculars.