UL Stoves

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What stove are you guys currently using for your backpack hunts?

I used the JetBoil SOL for most of 2011, but always looking for something better.

Attachments

• 100_1075s[1].jpg
    100_1075s[1].jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2012-10-27_PKout2.jpg
    2012-10-27_PKout2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 12
I'm using the Primus ETaexpress. This thing can boil water really fast, and from what I saw seemed to be more fuel efficient than my partners jetboil. I only needed 1 can of fuel for 10 days, boiling water for dinner nightly, and oatmeal 4 times in the morning during the 10 day hunt.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What altitude were you guys boiling at?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376889288.587942.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376889288.587942.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I built my own version of the White Box Stove. I was getting a boil in 8 minutes with it. Then I started messing around with different windscreen designs and cut the boil time down alot. From the time I strike the match to a full boil was less than 3 minutes @ 9000 ft. and I used only about 0ne ounce of alcohol.

dotman

WKR
Msr pocket rocket, i just can't give up on the old reliable and trusted thing.

ridgefire

WKR
pocket rocket for myself as well, been with me on five idaho elk hunts now without a problem. no reason to change yet

D

david long

The past few years I have used the JetBoil PCS.........but being a "weight weenie", as Aron would say, this last year I decided to try the new JetBoil SOL TI. Swung by REI on the way to the hills and used it on a weekend scouting trip. I was really disappointed with the inconsistency of the auto ignitor actually igniting the flame, especially since my older PCS lights the first click - every time!. Thinking I bought a lemon, I returned it to REI and exchanged it for another SOL TI.....same issue! Although the ignitor can be annoying, I am willing to put up with it for smaller size and 6 ounce reduction in my pack.

ridgefire

WKR
maybe i will have to upgrade from the pocket rocket. kinda like the idea of a contained self igniting stove anyways. i have a g1 siwash pack so the jetboil would probably be better as far as orginization in the pack goes.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Photo

I got my igniter to work Dave, but it took a while to get the angle of the dangle

Attachments

• DSC00564.jpg
    DSC00564.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 102
This summer I looked into a new stove with a lot of intensity. Price was a main concern even with regards to weight. What I ended up running was a Soto burner with a micro-regulator so at higher altitudes and thinner air!!! I burn less fuel!!! I combined that with a GSI Halulite Minimalist kit (.6L cup, two finger gripper, coozee, spoon). Total cost: Soto-$70 GSI-$26 and my total weight with a fuel canister...around 11 oz. I hunted 11 days oatmeal (warmed 1/2 the days) and Mountain House for dinners and still have fuel leftover. The Soto does have an auto ignitor but I have yet to have issues with mine.

ceetoo

FNG
I used a Jetboil SOL Ti last year. Suspect it will be a while before I replace this one. Quick to boil and reasonably light.

Yukondog

WKR
I have the Soto OD-1R stove. Has worked great up to 11k with out issue. Paired with the REI TI cup it is half the weight and bulk of a Jetboil. That is a win win for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yukon, the new Jetboils stove portions are just a tad heavier that the Sotos you and I run, I paired mine with a jetboil cup to take advantage of the heat exchanger on the bottom. My wife and I were able to make a 100g fuel canister last 6 days on a sheep hunt last year. 4 water heat ups for oatmeal and coffee every morning half the days we had a mid-day tea, and 2 heat ups for dinner.

Kinda the best of both worlds. All up its slightly lighter than the Jetboil Sol Ti still and very fuel efficient.

Here is a standard jetboil on the right with my Frankenstein setup on the left. I had my jetboil cup cut down shorter and notches cut in to set the SOTO stove supports in. Doesn't lock in like a jetboil, but will never slide around either like a traditional TI cup. I really do think there is something to the flux ring when it comes to fuel efficiency.

SANY0649.jpg

Yukondog

WKR
Luke - That is a slick set up. Never would have thought to do that. I just might play around with your idea. Very good idea!

Matt