UL chair for glassing

I’ve always used a cut up thermarest for my glassing chair because I don’t like the position of most backpacking chairs — more for lounging around camp than sitting up to glass with a tripod. I’ve tried helinox, rei brand, etc. But the older I get, the idea of sitting 4-5 days on just a ccf pad looks less appealing

Nemo has one that has some adjustability and looks like it can sit up. Has anyone tried it?

IMG_5105.jpeg

P dog

FNG
Just bought two of these. Going to give one a whirl next week sitting by a water hole.

Roptat 2 Pack Camping Stool​

Decker9

WKR
I picked up a trekology chair off Amazon (Canada) for this years sheep hunt, 2.2 lb and $50 cad. It was recommended to me by a friend who’s about twice my size, he was going on year 3 with his, so thought I’d try the cheaper chair. 100% impressed and won’t go without it again.

I have a Nemo moonlight similar and it is comfortable, but not UL. The helinox zero or one of the stools that hover around a pound are the best UL options.

OP
canyonhunter47
Ive tried a few chairs mentioned and they felt designed for reclining, which makes sense for general backpackers lounging at camp. My interest in the Nemo was for sitting more straight up which would be more comfortable for glassing

Ive tried a few chairs mentioned and they felt designed for reclining, which makes sense for general backpackers lounging at camp. My interest in the Nemo was for sitting more straight up which would be more comfortable for glassing
The Nemo won’t get you straight up, a little more than the helinox but not much.

TomJoad

WKR
I’m a longtime user of the helinox zero but appreciate your struggle with sitting up. I still find it ok for glassing I just rotate my body forward and use it like a stool. I also appreciate the reclining position in the evenings for r&r.

I’ve been tempted to pivot to a full on stool and sacrifice the evening lounge chair as well. The Hillsound BTR is lighter than my Helinox and less than $100:

ewade07

WKR
I use a crazy creek hex 2.0… works great as a chair and a pad and a ton of other uses
I too use one of these Crazy Creek type chairs, albeit a much older version. Just looked at the cost and man they have gone up, but hey, they are still waaaaaaay cheaper than all the other options out there!

intunegp

WKR
Looks like they're discontinued and I can't vouch for this site that has them in stock, but I've kept a Grand Trunk 10" Micro Stool in my pack the past few years. Approximately 8x10x1" when folded, 10.5oz, and gets you off the ground. You won't be napping or lounging in it, but sometimes it's better than a rock or the snow and mud.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Walkstools are incredible for glassing. The best I’ve found by a LONG shot. The most durable and the most comfortable.However mine weighs something like 27 ounces so I looked for something lighter for when I backpack in.
I recently bought a camptime pack stool that I’m testing out. It’s seat is smaller then my go to walkstool, but it sits about as high, and it seems much sturdier then any of the other light stools that I’ve tried. From what I’ve seen, those btr stools just break way too often unless you’re like 150 lbs. the camp time is under 14 oz and is $25… so far I highly recommend it, time will tell how it holds up

I tried a Helios zero for a while. TBH I found it a little hard to set up and use. It always seemed like the spot that was big enough and flat enough for the chair wasn’t where I wanted to be for glassing. Or I would sit down and one of the legs would punch its way into the ground like a lawn dart or something. I still use it, but don’t like it as much as I thought I would.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a. BTR when I need the height and want really light weight. The camptime roll a chair is heavier but more comfortable. It makes a decent camp chsir too, used them in Alaska multiple times.

A lot of times I just pack 5 sections of an old thermarest pad.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
The camptime pack stool weighs the same as the taller of the hillsound stools, I’ve heard of too many btrs failing to ever trust one personally

Poser

WKR
I tried a Helinox chair for awhile, but don't like it for glassing nor am I the biggest fan of the crazy creek for glassing. I went back to butt pad + pack. I do carry a Helinox when backcountry fishing, however, as having such a chair is great for tying flies and lounging when not lugging around optics.