UHMWPE Sewing Thread

dlee56

WKR
Has anyone come across UHMWPE sewing thread? I know it exists but I’ve only seen it on some commercial distributor websites where you have to get like 100 spools at a time.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
No. Tagging in. It intrigued me when looking into sewing.

Also not sure if I need anything stronger than nylon though

Odd1out

FNG
Might sound silly but what about dental floss. Ive used it few times on repairs. Stuff is pretty strong.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using clear thread for cub scout patches, I'm pretty sure its 3lb monofilament and it had me thinking about trying to use it to hand sew with bigger fishing line.

Backyard

WKR
Might sound silly but what about dental floss. Ive used it few times on repairs. Stuff is pretty strong.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Not silly at all. I have it in my emergency repair kit and have used it to make pack
repairs in the field. Waxed works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowl Play

WKR
You need to search for Dyneema or Spectra. They are both UHMW, just different patent holders. Same chemical makeup.

TaperPin

WKR
There are also some selling left over industrial thread that isn’t actually Dyneema.

I bought a surplus spool of tex60ish and it looked and felt like Dyneema and was sold by a normally good surplus reseller, but a break test was much less than nylon, like 1/2 the break strength. It might have been a blend with some kind of filler and would have been very UV resistant, but at that strength I threw it in the trash.

I‘ve heard of guys hand sewing with Spider wire fishing braid, but it doesn’t sew well with a machine.

Has anyone come across UHMWPE sewing thread? I know it exists but I’ve only seen it on some commercial distributor websites where you have to get like 100 spools at a time.

Might reach out to the distributers and see if you can get some "samples".

Otherwise, try different brands of "spider wire" and see if you can find something that the machine likes.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
What are you sewing with it?
As far as machines? I’m sewing with a Pfaff 360 Automatic, and I also have a Necchi Bu Mira for heavier stuff.
I’m hoping to use some Challenge Ultra 400 to sew up a fold away ultralight sled/bag for hauling meat in the snow. Late season deer hunts at high elevation

TaperPin

WKR
As far as machines? I’m sewing with a Pfaff 360 Automatic, and I also have a Necchi Bu Mira for heavier stuff.
I’m hoping to use some Challenge Ultra 400 to sew up a fold away ultralight sled/bag for hauling meat in the snow. Late season deer hunts at high elevation
I was just curious about what needed the extra strength - makes sense.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
I was just curious about what needed the extra strength - makes sense.
Yeah it’s still probably overkill but I’m envisioning myself dragging this bag/sled downhill through the pines and lowering it down some steep bits. Lots of abrasion

What kind of thread do they use on things like tow straps, recovery straps, big semi truck ratchet straps, etc?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
What kind of thread do they use on things like tow straps, recovery straps, big semi truck ratchet straps, etc?
Nylon or polyester webbing for the common straps
dyneema / uhmw rope is the strongest I'm aware of