UA Ridge Reaper clothing vs First Lite?

Mike Free

FNG
does anyone here use either of the two? i have the Fat tires in RR and love the look of the RR but really curious about first lite. most likely looking for something to do a lot of hiking/ archery hunting in. ill be checking both out on Saturday but not sure on what types to look at.

BKhunter

WKR
From what I have been told save your money on UA gear. First lite I have heard lots of good stuff about.

I have a few FirstLite tops and used to have some UA tops. I would go FirstLite hands down. They're the best base layers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
Use FL merino bases, they are great. Aerowool and Chama is what I wear for archery season. I Carry a Cirrus Puffy and rain jacket for inclement weather.

I've looked at the under armour stuff, feels funky in my hands. Have yet to find anything I would want to buy. I know it will work, only because Cam Hanes proves it hehehe

Brendan

WKR
I would classify UA as a middle-tier mass market brand and you pay too much for what you get.

If you're looking for the best in terms of quality hunting clothing: They're not the the only companies, but First Lite, Sitka, Kuiu are the best known in no particular order. You may pay more, but you'll get a lot more. Lots of info here, but it would also help if you let people know the type of hunting, where, temperature ranges, etc for the best advice.

KHNC

WKR
I prefer First Lite over UA. However, now I am a huge fan of Browning Hell`s Canyon Speed gear.

I love all my First Lite stuff... pants, a few shirts, hoodie, fleece, neck gaiter and a beanie. I've loved it all but I do need to restitch some various points on the pants. Also, Fusion is awesome and the merino is great!

The Ridge Reaper camo is cool (IMO) and I keep toying with the idea of buying their 03 Early Season softshell jacket. For whatever reason, a lot of hunting companies arent too keen on making an unlined softshell with a hood. I'm still holding out that First Lite decides to make one, or that Sitka's new camo pattern comes out in their Jetstream or Timberline jackets. But if all that fails, I still may end up with a UA jacket.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I'd keep an open mind and evaluate on an individual item basis. I was skeptical until last winter in the Glendale Cabelas I was able to check out the selection of RR items they had. There were some good pieces and I ended up buying a down/synthetic blend jacket, I think it is the "33" model on their website.

I have some UA gear. Upland pants I love. A set of softer shells and another hoody type jacket. Some base layers and a hat. I think it is pretty good stuff. Mass market for sure and made in the places you'd expect. I am not the most hardcore hunter but it suits me for northeast bow hunting.

I have a lot more first lite stuff. Base layers to my latest the Woodbury. I like it a lot and it seems to be multiplying. Made by hunters for hunters. Prices are good. The stuff performs. Big fan of their wool products. I wish they would tweak their soft shells a bit. I would like a true pants version of the north branch bottoms and some more bells and whistles on the top. It is worth noting that FL is also made off shore but You should expect that. On balance, I think first light wins even before you consider the enviable mustache of their marketing guy.

While I wouldn't say they are equal, You could and people do some hard core hunting in either and still be well kitted out. At that point it becomes a matter of preference.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I have almost all (literally) of the UA Ridge Reaper (barren) gear from the Gore-tex to the wool (blend).
The RR pattern is super effective in Alaska; everything is brown and dusty (gravel bars to mountain sides) so it works well.
I made an investment in the hard shell rain gear first but would do it over if I hadn't thrown $1000 into those two pieces. :/
UA's new green RR camo rain gear is much quieter and at a much more reasonable price point.
My GF has almost all of the First Lite women's line available for 2016. She used it hard; she liked the clothing (fit, pockets, etc) and the pattern is amazing for Alaska. She's itching for the news women's gear (outerwear) to be released. Soon I'd imagine.
My dad has some Kuiu Vias and I think it was the worst pattern we had in the field this year. Good gear, but that pattern is too light and large for up here. Here's hoping this pics post... Just a few pics from my work PC of the patterns in the field.
View attachment 42908
View attachment 42909
View attachment 42910
View attachment 42907

I don't own any RR gear but do like the camo pattern. I just didn't like the feel of the material. I've got the first lite chama hoody and really like that. The red desert boxers were awesome too but started falling apart after 2 washes, holes all over them. I'd probably buy them again though. Has anyone else had the same issue with the boxers?

My boxers are started to get a little suspect in the crotch (read looking like shear pantyhose now), I have washed them but only on gently cycle and hung to dry, I have only worn them maybe 15 days so for the cost I don't think they are worth it at all.

They are comfortable and they don't smell but for $65 a pair I expect more than 15 days.

My Llano LS, guide paints are still going strong and worth the discount realtree price I paid.

Catfish65

FNG
I don't own any RR gear but do like the camo pattern. I just didn't like the feel of the material. I've got the first lite chama hoody and really like that. The red desert boxers were awesome too but started falling apart after 2 washes, holes all over them. I'd probably buy them again though. Has anyone else had the same issue with the boxers?

yup. holes after a few washes but i love em. I usually buy a couple pairs when they are on sale. Cant say enough about the Uncompahgre Puffy.