Two parter, Browning X Bolt and Round Choice

Nards444

FNG
Ok two part one sort of feeds into another. Been on REDDIT and got no help, except for everything I was asking about.

First off 7PRC or 300WINMAG? I see 7PRC has slightly better ballistics, I dont know enough to write home about but is better with less recoil and the gun weighs slightly less with a shorter barrel. However ammo accessibility is really important and to a certain extent price. I had a 300SAUM and is virtually impossible to find. Been hunting with a 300WSM, however finding that is almost as bad, and the ammo I put into the gun hasn't been in stores for 2 years. So with that being said the PRC being out a year or two, I dont think anybody can know which way it goes. So really leaning towards the 300 Winmag.

Next is gun. Getting an Xbolt, but there are so many options. One there is the mountain version, just not sure Im getting a whole lot more for grand. After that is the Xbolt 2 a must after the Xbolt? After that, there is the speed, the speed long range, and the sporter. I like sporter as the barrel is shorter like 22 or 24in, however range matters to me. Also is the recoil hawg worth it over the 360 brake. See some people complaining about gas back in the face on the recoil hawg.

For a little context this is for my out west gun. weight and length somewhat matters but not a first priority over accuracy. We routinely are shooting deer from 3-500yards. Comfortable range right now for me is probably up to 700. Wouldnt mind working my way up to 1000 at some point.

No im not reloading, no Im not finding 5k worth of ammo and stocking up. Want to keep it to these two options.

Last edited:
Ok two part one sort of feeds into another. Been on REDDIT and got no help, except for everything I was asking about.

First off 7PRC or 300WINMAG? I see 7PRC has slightly better ballistics, I dont know enough to write home about but is better with less recoil and the gun weighs slightly less with a shorter barrel. However ammo accessibility is really important and to a certain extent price. I had a 300SAUM and is virtually impossible to find. Been hunting with a 300WSM, however finding that is almost as bad, and the ammo I put into the gun hasn't been in stores for 2 years. So with that being said the PRC being out a year or two, I dont think anybody can know which way it goes. So really leaning towards the 300 Winmag.

Next is gun. Getting an Xbolt, but there are so many options. One there is the mountain version, just not sure Im getting a whole lot more for grand. After that is the Xbolt 2 a must after the Xbolt? After that, there is the speed, the speed long range, and the sporter. I like sporter as the barrel is shorter like 22 or 24in, however range matters to me. Also is the recoil hawg worth it over the 360 brake. See some people complaining about gas back in the face on the recoil hawg.

For a little context this is for my out west gun. weight and length somewhat matters but not a first priority over accuracy. We routinely are shooting deer from 3-500yards. Comfortable range right now for me is probably up to 700. Wouldnt mind working my way up to 1000 at some point.
I have the xbolt hells canyon long range in 300wm. The recoil hawg is definitely worth it lets you track impacts very well and cuts recoil significantly. I’m selling mine because I decided to build something with a shorter barrel but I am super happy with the gun and will be sad to see it go overall- just don’t need a duplicate rifle

No, some states dont allow that caliber, energy and drop is terrible on that round post 300yds
You got to shoot the right bullets - 77 TMK or 80 ELDM.

I would get a 6 creed and shoot 108gr eldms at everything from Elk to Moose. Coming from someone who hunts several states out west every year, I got rid of all my magnums. If I could only have one gun to hunt everything, I would use my 6 CM and 108gr eldms.

Maybe a creed. But I’m not shooting at big game at 500 yards with a 223. No thanks
Maybe take a second and educate yourself:

I’ve spent a couple hours in the treads about the .223 for big game. I really don’t care what the “data” says im not shooting anything bigger than a coyote with a .223 past 100 yards

I have a 77 grain bullet with 400 or pounds of energy and 7ft of drop or , 180 grains With 3/4 times the amount of energy and half the drop at 500. Not a hard choice. Btw was t mentioned but that bear wasn’t shot at long range.

I’ve spent a couple hours in the treads about the .223 for big game. I really don’t care what the “data” says im not shooting anything bigger than a coyote with a .223 past 100 yards
That’s the thing. A lot of great rounds out there and reality is just about any round is a good deer killer out to 200yds. Things change past that. Hell was in the military and 300yds was the max effective range of this round and there’s a reason they moved on from it. I have my 223 it’s fun and has its purpose. But for big game apecially at range no thanks

I have a 77 grain bullet with 400 or pounds of energy and 7ft of drop or , 180 grains With 3/4 times the amount of energy and half the drop at 500. Not a hard choice. Btw was t mentioned but that bear wasn’t shot at long range.
Energy is over rated dude. It means nothing. Minimum velocity at impact for bullet expansion is all that matters.

My point is you don’t need a magnum. You could shoot a 22 creed with 80gr eldms and kill elk and moose out to 1000 yards

Stop worrying about energy, think about bullet and construction.

Decide on what bullet you want to shoot, then decide what cartridge gets it to the maximum range you want to shoot.

I have gone from 300 wby mag, down to 22's and 6mm's mostly. It's bullets, and not so much big ones.

Range is easy, press a button, it's wind you need to worry about.

Energy is over rated dude. It means nothing. Minimum velocity at impact for bullet expansion is all that matters.

My point is you don’t need a magnum. You could shoot a 22 creed with 80gr eldms and kill elk and moose out to 1000 yards
Disagree energy does matter. Either way the mag gets there 25 percent faster and at almost twice the speed with something that weighs 2.5times more.

Doesn’t matter. Im not getting it not going back and forth. Rifle wouldn’t be allowed in a lot of states I’m interested in or could go to.

Stop worrying about energy, think about bullet and construction.

Decide on what bullet you want to shoot, then decide what cartridge gets it to the maximum range you want to shoot.

I have gone from 300 wby mag, down to 22's and 6mm's mostly. It's bullets, and not so much big ones.

Range is easy, press a button, it's wind you need to worry about.
Already decided what I want and comfortable with. Understand it’s not only about energy it’s about a lot of things. However big faster harder hitting rounds give you more leeway and will kill better every time all the time

Already decided what I want and comfortable with. Understand it’s not only about energy it’s about a lot of things. However big faster harder hitting rounds give you more leeway and will kill better every time all the time
This is just not a true statement…sorry man, your ignorance is glaring.

Back