Two Lucky young hunters. 24 shots to stop a grizzly attack!

TaperPin

WKR
Good for them - it could have been much worse.

A bear has a small brain and that makes a small target.

The kid with the 45 ACP must have an old soul - I like that. :)

go_deep

WKR
Lucky guys!!
Just over 20 years ago I archery elk hunted this very area, West of Henry lake. We had a grizzly encounter, but it ended with us backing away, eye opening to say the least.

Wasn't there just another grizzly attack story around the Island Park area? Sounds like your chances of running into a grizzly or even getting attacked is much higher than any other areas I've heard about. Not sure an elk is worth the risk?

Wasn't there just another grizzly attack story around the Island Park area? Sounds like your chances of running into a grizzly or even getting attacked is much higher than any other areas I've heard about. Not sure an elk is worth the risk?
I think it’s the same incident.

IDVortex

WKR
I think it’s the same incident.
It is.

If it wasn't for the fact I have no one to archery hunt with, I would be hunting just north east of Henry to go after a bull elk. But have no desire to archery hunt alone in a very high griz area. Lol.

These 2 boys are lucky to be alive. The bear died on the hunter that was attacked and had to be pushed off of him. His tendons and muscles were exposed in his arm. He has full movement and will have some scars and a story to tell for sure. He shot it 2 times with a 10mm before it was on him and his buddy shot it with his 45acp. 24 rounds before it expired. Crazy thing was it was in a meadow not in thick timber or anything. Bear was a problem according to fish and game it had attacked cattle in the past. My brother is friends with the young man that was attacked.

Last edited: