Tw200, who’s got one and what are capabilities

PLO5

WKR
Just picked up a tdub. For years I’ve thought about getting one but don’t have anyone I know that has had one so wasn’t sure how capable it would be for hunting and shed hunting. I put the solid cycle works racks on it but have only got to take it out once so far. Suspension sucks and definitely can feel the front wash out a bit on it. Pretty sure I need to just learn more how to ride it. How capable are they for hunting in rugged stuff? What are advantages and disadvantages?

Attachments

• 8AA894E5-A1D9-4CAA-B767-0579D6D1B5E0.jpeg
    8AA894E5-A1D9-4CAA-B767-0579D6D1B5E0.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 106
Advantages. Comparatively low seat height. Fat tires that would float more over soft stuff. Fairly light weight. Comparatively inexpensive. Simple. Good racks available.

Disadvantages. Taxed on the highway. Carbureted, so jetting that serves you well at 4500' in GJ may not serve you well at 10K+.

They sure seemed to have "tricky" handling with the very wide tires vs any Enduro or Trials style bikes I've ridden. Just basing my comment on a short ride in rough terrain that I took on one. A hunter had one in a hunting camp next to me out in NV 25 years ago. Probably what you mean by the "Front washes out"? I'd take it slow for a while on one for sure.

ID_Matt

WKR
Have to define "rugged stuff". I think they do fine in double track or mellow single track but any sort of skinny, chunky, single track they will struggle in my experience. The bigger tires tend to bounce off rocks pretty good and they will want to walk all over the trail. I used one for a few years and it did fine but once I figured out how to ride a bit I switched to a CRF230 and then a 300 2 stroke. Much lighter and more maneuverable for the skinny high mountain single track I hunt in sometimes.

BBob

WKR
The stock front tires are known as "Death Wings". Swap it out for a trials tire and the washout tendency gets way better. I have a Pirelli on mine. There are cheaper out there. A search will find tons of info on the many trials tires people use. BTW the replacement tires are rear tires used on the front of the TW. Shinko, Pirelli, Dunlop all have popular rear trails tires that are used.

I've ridden all sorts of dirt bikes for a very long time and I don't find the TW hard to ride at all. Different mby but not hard. It's slow and not much power but I find it pretty fun for a trail bike. Swap out that front and have at it :)

Last edited:
I like mine. It's an economical alternative to an ATV or UTV, yet allows more access because many UTV's can't access <50" trails, and ATV's can't access dirt bike only trails. It's street legal, so I use mine to run errands close to my home. It's fun!

I think it's quite capable to to get you where you need to go, albeit maybe more slowly than some other pure dirt bikes. The frame will let you put a quarter or an elk rack on it. It'll go slow and steep pretty well. I wish it were lighter. Also wish it had more guts. I've used mine to 11k without issue although you can notice reduced power at elevation. The most obvious downside is poor weather. You're going to fall in snow, mud, rain...I go slow to limit the damage.

For sure swap out that front tire. I really like my Shinko SR241 Trials Tire, but honestly I think anything would be an upgrade.

lonedave

WKR
I have a 2000 model with right at 8000 miles. Definitely change out the front tire as the original is notorious for washing out, especially on gravel. I have a Shinko "Golden Boy", I think right now. They are definitely very capable on lots of trails and with a good rear rack, are capable of carrying a good load. The suspension is soft but keep the offroad speed down and it'll do just fine. They are bomb-proof little bikes. I use mine a lot for scouting trips as mine will get 55+ mpg offroad and around 70 on road. Some people talk about even better gas mileage. They are jetted pretty lean from the factory, but re-jetting and raising the needle by shimming is easy. I dropped my rear sprocket to a 47 tooth and it runs along at 55 - 60 mph pretty easily, yet still has lots of low-end power. Visit the TW200 forum for lots of information and upgrades.

JLH208

WKR
Absolutely change that front tire, you’ll be glad you did. Another vote for shinko 241. It’s a heavy bike for what it is and could us more power but for everything other than the gnarly rocky single track it does fine. I run it on the leaner side at home so it performs well at higher elevations. Don’t be afraid to play with tire pressure also, depending on what terrain you’re riding, 5-10psi can completely change the ride experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
I bought one two years ago that was needing some work for cheap to use for hunting. Unfortunately I really haven't used it much. Everywhere I can take it I can also take my Tacoma so I usually just do that. I have todoodled around on it a bit though and feel its extremely easy to ride, more like a piece of equipment than a mx bike.