Truck brands actual MPG vs sticker

Sled

WKR
Ford, Chevy and Dodge... Who's accurate and who's pulling a fast one on us with the epa sticker ratings?

I'm looking for a reliable 1/2 ton that will spend a bit of time on the hwy going to off road job sites. MPG and reliability are high on the list. I've noticed the late model ford's seem to be accurate but I haven't been in the Ram or Silverado with the new 4cyl turbo. So, can I trust their sticker ratings?

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing better than the sticker, exactly 21mpg, over the first 5000 miles in my new work truck. Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 2.7. Mostly highway and I don’t drive it particularly fast. I wouldn’t buy one with my money though. The dash already has a rattle and the audio randomly shuts off and won’t work until I turn the truck off and restart.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It totally depends on the gear ratio you have versus their "test ratings" truck, how fast you drive, and traffic conditions, etc. I'm pretty sure that at some speeds it's an exponential drop in mileage for every 10mph of speed added.......as opposed to a linear type graph. I know in my F-350 that at 85mph the mileage is quite a bit worse than even at 75mph. Although I always have wondered at what speed they figure their highway ratings.

Trees91

WKR
Had a rental Silverado with the turbo 4 cylinder and did 1300 miles with it. Averaged 19 doing 65-68.
So not that impressive considering it's a 4 banger. Any headwind and it really killed the mileage.

23 Silverado 2wd work truck gets 19.6 with the 5.3 and the 10 speed tranny. I’m happy with it

You can check sites like Fuelly to see what people are getting with different half tons. Still a lot of variables, but it's a data point.
This! Fully is real world guys inputting their personal data. I always check this before buying a new truck. Has been a reliable source for me. Don't buy a tundra if you want MPG.

Scottyboy

WKR
My 2017 Ford was damn near spot on. My current 2021 tundra, well I guess they can’t put 5 mpg on the sticker….

TheHammer

WKR
My 2019 f150 3.5… stock form I never drove it. I had it lifted and 33-12.50 tires right away. And tuned it before I drove it off the lot. It got 18.7 on average in summer months and barely 14 throughout the winter. Since with all the mods has gone up to 19.6 average. Right now it’s 15.7 through winter.

sacklunch

WKR
car and driver has a test track and a road route for the majority of their tests. They drive them all the same, be it a 911 GT3 or a pickup truck when it comes to the MPG test routed. That's probaly your best real world source. Too many variables in individual driving habits to get a reliable number from an internet forum.

prm

WKR
F150 3.5 ecoboost is reasonably accurate. Just got a new one with 5.0. Will need to wait until after it breaks in a little.

bkennedy2

FNG
I've got a 2019 Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3. My average is 17.5 since I bought it (~3000 miles). I've gotten 22-23+ average on hour long mostly highway trips using cruise control which is higher than advertised.

I believe the EPA average highway miles per gallon are figured at 55 mph. Most folks expect the same at 75mph....

Edit: reading a little, the current EPA mpg tests are quite complicated but the highway miles are still derived from a test that only averages 48mph, according to a Car and Driver article. That would be where so many people do not see what they expect when driving 75+mph down the expressway.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
My Ram 1500 is pretty close. Hwy is 22, best I've gotten was 21.8, and that was on a looong flat stretch on cruise. If you look up how vehicles are tested, especially pick ups, you'll see that they use the lightest (least equipped) model to achieve the mpg. They also drive much slower than the average person; something like 55 on the fwy for X amount of miles and coming up to that speed in 2 or so miles. It is nowhere near real world driving. Make sure you hand calculate your mpg, the on board computers are known for inaccuracies.